When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Racer...Is This Worth Purchasing?

-
I have had an interest in IGH bikes for ages, but only somewhat recently dipped my foot in the pool as it were. Long story but I ended up with a modern "Schwinn" cruiser with a 5 speed IGH Sturmey hub a few years ago.

Then earlier this year I ended up buying a Racer because, um, to be honest... I liked the fin on the front fender. Seriously. Anywhos it was advertised as a '56 but the date code on the hub (October '56) makes me think it was probably sold in '57. Whatever. When I bought it, I was considering a full restoration but changed my mind once I started working on it. This one will stay a "survivor" as long as I own it.

As bought:
Racer_6523.jpg

I paid $75 for it, which seemed like too much but I bought it anyway. The rear wheel was missing spokes, nothing on it worked, I couldn't even roll it to the car.

Here it is now:
Racer_6863.jpg

The seat is too high in that photo, the bike sorta fits me but I'd prefer a '62 (year of birth) in the next larger size. It also still needs a seat, the one on there right now is off of a violet Breeze. It looks ok in pictures but in real life it clashes pretty bad... but I haven't got anything else that fits right now.

Speaking of a 1962 in a larger frame size... while rebuilding the '56 I stumbled onto this '62 on ebay. It was local and cheap. I got the frame, fork, chainguard, and fenders for $15.
Racer62_6691.jpg

Sharp eyed viewers will notice it's not a 3 speed frame though. Hmm, I planned on doing a full rebuild and adding the cable stops but again changed my mind. I am now looking for a single or two speed coaster hub for it. I have a two speed kickback hub in a Typhoon I just rebuilt, but if I stole that I'd need a hub for the Typhoon.

Bottom line, the search continues for the elusive 21" 3-speed Racer. I'm not too set on year anymore, if I buy a project I'm going to paint it black and put the early font "Racer" graphics on it anyway... and the '56 would get sold, probably for about half what I have into it. But that's ok, it's still not much money and the time I spent working on it kept me out of trouble.

When I Was younger it was all drop bars for me. Then mountain bikes hit and it was all MTB for me. Now I have zero interest in drop bar bikes and a lot of interest in the upright bikes. As I seem to always be on the tail end of trends I'm guessing a lot of people feel the same way and have for a while now?

After a lot of years away from bicycles I'm obviously back into it again, and am volunteering at a local bike co-op on the weekends. I've discovered I have very little interest in most modern bikes... Suspensions? All on one brake levers and shifters? Hydraulic disk brakes? Ughh... If I wanted to play around with that I would have stuck playing with motorcycles. Well, I still do play with motorcycles, but you know what I mean.

I have had an interest in IGH bikes for ages, but only somewhat recently dipped my foot in the pool as it were. Long story but I ended up with a modern "Schwinn" cruiser with a 5 speed IGH Sturmey hub a few years ago.

Then earlier this year I ended up buying a Racer because, um, to be honest... I liked the fin on the front fender. Seriously. Anywhos it was advertised as a '56 but the date code on the hub (October '56) makes me think it was probably sold in '57. Whatever. When I bought it, I was considering a full restoration but changed my mind once I started working on it. This one will stay a "survivor" as long as I own it.

As bought:
View attachment 1746810

I paid $75 for it, which seemed like too much but I bought it anyway. The rear wheel was missing spokes, nothing on it worked, I couldn't even roll it to the car.

Here it is now:
View attachment 1746811

The seat is too high in that photo, the bike sorta fits me but I'd prefer a '62 (year of birth) in the next larger size. It also still needs a seat, the one on there right now is off of a violet Breeze. It looks ok in pictures but in real life it clashes pretty bad... but I haven't got anything else that fits right now.

Speaking of a 1962 in a larger frame size... while rebuilding the '56 I stumbled onto this '62 on ebay. It was local and cheap. I got the frame, fork, chainguard, and fenders for $15.
View attachment 1746812

Sharp eyed viewers will notice it's not a 3 speed frame though. Hmm, I planned on doing a full rebuild and adding the cable stops but again changed my mind. I am now looking for a single or two speed coaster hub for it. I have a two speed kickback hub in a Typhoon I just rebuilt, but if I stole that I'd need a hub for the Typhoon.

Bottom line, the search continues for the elusive 21" 3-speed Racer. I'm not too set on year anymore, if I buy a project I'm going to paint it black and put the early font "Racer" graphics on it anyway... and the '56 would get sold, probably for about half what I have into it. But that's ok, it's still not much money and the time I spent working on it kept me out of trouble.

When I Was younger it was all drop bars for me. Then mountain bikes hit and it was all MTB for me. Now I have zero interest in drop bar bikes and a lot of interest in the upright bikes. As I seem to always be on the tail end of trends I'm guessing a lot of people feel the same way and have for a while now?

After a lot of years away from bicycles I'm obviously back into it again, and am volunteering at a local bike co-op on the weekends. I've discovered I have very little interest in most modern bikes... Suspensions? All on one brake levers and shifters? Hydraulic disk brakes? Ughh... If I wanted to play around with that I would have stuck playing with motorcycles. Well, I still do play with motorcycles, but you know what I mean.
$75.00 may seem like a lot, but if you think of what it would cost to build it now, $75.00 is cheap. You can't even buy a shiny piece of junk Wally World bike for that price. That's how I like to think of it.

Long story but I have one.

A minty original was left in a house I purchased in 2020. We talked to owner over phone and we hit it off but at this time sellers were getting pretty picky and she had lived there on and off 60 years. Agent said she was difficult with some potentials and we should write a letter on why we had interest (2nd home to see Grandkids, big garage and I have a thing for vintage bikes and tinkering on stuff......).

Anyway, she accepted offer, which was not the highest and threw in 8k to toward closing costs! Agent said she cried when she read letter and was happy to find someone that would truly appreciate it. Her husband had passed and was a contractor that did a lot of work on house, so it was hard to let go.

Agent then told us she had a bike she bought new, but never rode and I should see some time if I had a chance. I was excited, but didn't get chance on a quick visit.

Anyway, walked in house after getting keys and there it was with a bow on it.

20201213_102505.jpg

I am a fan of the small framed lightweights. my racer is next to the smallest and it is just a fun bike to ride. I have a Varsity that is 22" or 23" and the standover height is too tall for my 30" inseam. fits well riding, but not so good when I stop at a light.

Back