When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn "Rat Trap" Front Book Rack

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Re-Cyclist

Finally riding a big boys bike
Do any of you Schwinn experts know how many years the Schwinn "Rat Trap" book rack which mounted over the front fender was offered? I am particularly interested in the double hinged version as opposed to the single hinge. Did Schwinn make both racks simultaneously or did one replace the other in the Schwinn catalog? I have two Jaguars, a 60 and 62, and a 61 Corvette and all have the double hinge version. Just curious.

The earlier ones were made by Mayweg in Germany. I believe the higher end models like the 'vette, Jaguar, and Panther used the double hinged. I think when they started cost cutting in the early 60s, i.e. narrower non stainless fenders, smaller headbadge,etc, they started using the steel racks, and probably used the single hinged version on lower end models like the Tiger and Deluxe Hornet. Not 100% sure on that though, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Back