When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn s-5 20" wheel questions....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

asbug

On Training Wheels
OK, I read a lot and cannot find an answer anywhere. I appreciate your help in my ignorance.
I have a set of S-5 marked wheels that appear to be 20" wheels.
They didn't come with any tires, but have the S5 hump in the middle of the wheel and are marked as S5's - should be ISO451.
I need to order some tires, but I have an issue... All the info I can find online state that the S5 in 20" should measure 17.75" in OD, but mine have an 18" OD...
I have measured with a large set of calipers to verify (no axle interference).
All the charts I can find state that this is a 22" rim ISO457.
I have read and read and cannot find a Schwinn made 22" S5 wheel; Just 20, 24. and 26 inch variants.
I can get some photos, but there is nothing special about these wheels other than I am building a single speed '68 Apple crate frame project and would like to use them instead of the usual S-7's that I have laying around.
I appreciate any and all help before I order the wrong tires (tyres).
Thanks, KC in North GA - barren wasteland for any thing Schwinn related...

The 451mm or 17.75" should be at the bead seat. Is that where you are measuring?

bead-seat-diameter.jpg

The only 22" wheels I've ever seen on a schwinn came on the Enduro and Ms. Enduro. I think bloo is right on this one, but mounting up a 451 tire (or beaking your knuckles trying if it's actually a 457) would be an easy way to test.

Most of those Enduro/Ms. Enduros I've seen had basic box section steel rims with no knurling reminiscent of S series rims.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Schwinn didn't make a tubular rim for a 22" tire. That's a rare French bird and also used on some BMX bikes.

ISO for the 20" is 37-451
ISO for the 24" is 37-547

Reactions: JLF
I have a pair of Schwinn Enduro & Mrs Enduro with the 22" wheels. Red & Pink.
When you measure the outer diameter of just a rim, subtract about 12mm to get the iso/bsd number.

22 was only in Spain for a while but now it is used in bmx racing in the USA so there are some nice tires available for that size.

Back