When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn S Seat (Mesinger?) Restore?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

12speedjeff

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hey guys! Just grabbed this seat. Is this a Mesinger style seat? Is the bottom look normal for it's age? Is it worthwhile restoring/how do I maintain this?

Thanks guys!

PXL_20210728_215206432.jpg

PXL_20210728_215213241.jpg

PXL_20210728_215215744.jpg

Hey guys! Just grabbed this seat. Is this a Mesinger style seat? Is the bottom look normal for it's age? Is it worthwhile restoring/how do I maintain this?

Thanks guys!

View attachment 1454609

View attachment 1454610

View attachment 1454611
Yes normal, the heat eventually messes up the padding. Getting the cover off is hardest part. You need to warm it up and pry it off. I have not tried but some have had sucess with it. Yes It is a mesinger seat there are lots of styles. I would only try if I had the original bike.

Once you get the cover off, per coasterbrakejunkie1969's instructions, try to pry the old pad out in one piece. You'll need it as a pattern for a new pad. I've had really good luck using mouse pad material and, if the seat is larger, a drum practice pad. You can find these pads at most drum shops or Guitar Centers. That framework does come apart, if you choose to clean and polish everything. Start by removing the springs and lay them out in order, they're different lengths. The rest is bolted together. Clean the cover down with Simple Green, warm water and a soft brush. Be careful of the tag riveted to the back, it's very thin and you don't want to bend or distort it. Once the cover is dry, sometimes I'll mask off the white yoke and spray a light coat of white Dupli-Color vinyl and fabric paint. Dust it on or it will run. I haven't tried to mask the "S" off yet, as I haven't had to. Here are some pictures of a violet seat I refurbished.

Schwinn 64 Traveler 012.JPG

Schwinn 64 Traveler 014.JPG

Schwinn 64 Traveler 015.JPG

Schwinn 64 Traveler 016.JPG

Once you get the cover off, per coasterbrakejunkie1969's instructions, try to pry the old pad out in one piece. You'll need it as a pattern for a new pad. I've had really good luck using mouse pad material and, if the seat is larger, a drum practice pad. You can find these pads at most drum shops or Guitar Centers. That framework does come apart, if you choose to clean and polish everything. Start by removing the springs and lay them out in order, they're different lengths. The rest is bolted together. Clean the cover down with Simple Green, warm water and a soft brush. Be careful of the tag riveted to the back, it's very thin and you don't want to bend or distort it. Once the cover is dry, sometimes I'll mask off the white yoke and spray a light coat of white Dupli-Color vinyl and fabric paint. Dust it on or it will run. I haven't tried to mask the "S" off yet, as I haven't had to. Here are some pictures of a violet seat I refurbished.

View attachment 1454860

View attachment 1454861

View attachment 1454862

View attachment 1454863
thats a beaut! you got any before pictures?

Hi 12speedjeff,
I'm sorry I don't have any before pictures of the saddle. I wish I had before pictures of a lot of projects I've undertaken, it's a failing of mine. I spend quite a bit of time getting stuff the way I like it, but it is a labor of love! I once detailed a 1964 Flamboyant Red girl's Collegiate for a friend ,and the whole bike was covered in white enamel paint splatter. I couldn't compound the enamel off without damaging the depth of the red transparent coat, so I carefully worked down each splatter with an X-acto blade, and worked the rest off with Meguires no.6 cleaner wax! Of course, I didn't take before photos of the bike covered in paint. Oh well.

Red Brooks and bikes 004.JPG

Red Brooks and bikes 007.JPG

Red Brooks and bikes 008.JPG

Red Brooks and bikes 010.JPG

Red Brooks and bikes 006.JPG

Back