When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn S2 Wheels Ages?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MBL

Finally riding a big boys bike
Howdy all. Tim here. I wanted to see if someone on here can tell me how to tell the vintage of Schwinn S2 wheels. I think the 48's had no knurling, anf in '49 knurling was added. Can someone tell me what was stamped in the wheels for different timeframes? Also is there a difference in the knurling? Wider or closer together?
Thanks for any help!
Tim
MBL

the way i understand it, the knurling was an unintended result of manufacturing. Probabaly all S2 had knurl marks but the early ones were buffed out. I have heard and it makes sense that the machine that rolled the hoops used a knurled roller to aid in traction on the rim. Likely the cost of buffing these marks out drove them to a decision, and the cheapest route was to increase the depth and quality of the knurle pattern. Even the "unknurled" hoops have the marking on the inside from the rollers.

Howdy all. Tim here. I wanted to see if someone on here can tell me how to tell the vintage of Schwinn S2 wheels. I think the 48's had no knurling, anf in '49 knurling was added. Can someone tell me what was stamped in the wheels for different timeframes? Also is there a difference in the knurling? Wider or closer together?
Thanks for any help!
Tim
MBL

Came out in 48 and were NON knurled.....that's right...no knurling. But they did say S-2.....so as not to be confused with Lobdell flat type rims that Schwinn was also using around the same period....So if you ever restore a 48 Schwinn, you can use either ...Drop centers, Flat lobdells or the "new" S-2 with out the knurling, in 49 they went to knurled.

The Phantom anniversary S-2 rims I believe had a wider and lighter double knurling, and there was a version with single knurling that were made up until the 80's, I can't remember if they were stamped S-2.

S-2

The 1979, 80,81,82 S-2 were Hungarian made, they do have a light cur, but no Stamping. They are good wheels, with heavy duty spoks, and large flage front hubs. The rear hubs are Benix Mexico, with 4 brake pads. If this helps
Mitch

The 1979, 80,81,82 S-2 were Hungarian made, they do have a light cur, but no Stamping. They are good wheels, with heavy duty spoks, and large flage front hubs. The rear hubs are Benix Mexico, with 4 brake pads. If this helps
Mitch

Just to clear things up here. The above info is totally wrong. Schwinn invested in the Hungarian factory in 1988 so the rims made in the years mentioned above were made in Chicago.

Just to clear things up here. The above info is totally wrong. Schwinn invested in the Hungarian factory in 1988 so the rims made in the years mentioned above were made in Chicago.
Better late than never[emoji14]

Better late than never[emoji14]

Yep, since your buddy Jeff linked this thread in another recent S-2 question thread, I thought an update of the info here was needed for those that believe everything they read on the internet. :p

don't forget the ultra rare stainless S2 wheels from early 48.have seen 2 sets and actually owned a set.sold them without knowing how rare,until the buyer,who was a long time collector,told me what they were.they had weak knurling and the stamping was weak.

Speaking of stainless wheels...I think the S6s on my 52 travelers are stainless as well but im not 100% sure. How can you tell?

Back