When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn S2 Wheels Ages?

-
Usually you only see the tapered kickstands on the 1946 models, but I have a stock 1948 Whizzer with non knurled S2's and a tapered kickstand. The serial number says it's from 1940, but it is a post war bike. I have seen other 1947 and 1948 bikes with a tapered kickstand as well. Then again there are 1946 Schwinn's with non tapered kickstands. Do you have a picture of your bike? If it is a DX or Straight Bar, another quick way to identify the year is, the bottom bar will be the same diameter as the top bar. In 1949 Schwinn made the lower bar on the DX, and Panther models smaller in diameter. Some jack ass probably said it would save them a few hundred dollars each year. And then later on another jack ass said lets move our factory over to China, and save millions each year. lol

Usually you only see the tapered kickstands on the 1946 models, but I have a stock 1948 Whizzer with non knurled S2's and a tapered kickstand. The serial number says it's from 1940, but it is a post war bike. I have seen other 1947 and 1948 bikes with a tapered kickstand as well. Then again there are 1946 Schwinn's with non tapered kickstands. Do you have a picture of your bike? If it is a DX or Straight Bar, another quick way to identify the year is, the bottom bar will be the same diameter as the top bar. In 1949 Schwinn made the lower bar on the DX, and Panther models smaller in diameter. Some jack ass probably said it would save them a few hundred dollars each year. And then later on another jack ass said lets move our factory over to China, and save millions each year. lol
I don't know Edward Schwinn, and I've never been in the position he was in when Schwinn was having problems, but reading "The Fall of Schwinn", Part 1 and 2, Crain's Chicago Business, I can't help but notice that when Schwinn needed all the friends it could get, he couldn't seem to keep a positive working relationship either with the workers in Chicago, the management of Giant, or the bankers who eventually sold his business out from under him.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/19931009/ISSUE01/100018007/the-fall-of-schwinn-pt-1-of-2
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/19931009/ISSUE01/100018008/the-fall-of-schwinn-pt-2-of-2

Once I seen a guy take a kick stand off one bike and put it on another ! , you never kno what's OG....?

Once I seen a guy take a kick stand off one bike and put it on another ! , you never kno what's OG....?
I have tried putting a tapered kickstand on another bike, and the angle was completely wrong, and it wouldn't work. Possibly the brazed on bracket is positioned differently to accept the angle of the tapered kickstand?.. That is what I have observed. So maybe a taperedl kickstand will only work with a frame that was intended for one.
Honestly to set any kind real truth to this, more then one study would have to be done.

Last edited:
Did you try removing the cam inside the stand bracket ?
Yes, I had a C serial number 1940's bike and tried to install a pencil kickstand from another worn 1946 frame, and it would not work.
The pencil kickstand was offset, and was touching the tire. I used all of it's correct inner parts as well.
On the frame it came off of, it fit perfectly, and everything was lined up. Maybe this was a one time thing?
From that day, I always figured that there was a difference. I am sure that there are guy's with way more experience then me in this matter. Any other input would be great!

Back