When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Save me Speedster 1974

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

schwinnbikebobb

I live for the CABE
So a few weeks ago we went across town to Perkins ( only one within 60 miles now) for breakfast. IMO the best pancakes. Right by it is a Goodwill so stopped by after breakfast. Saw this rough 74 Opaque Blue 20" Speedster. Pretty sad looking and I thought I bet it will be $10. Nope it seems Goodwill has told their pricers to jack up prices and it was triple that. So I left it. A week later we were close again (no Perkins though) and I stopped and it was gone. But it was not gone just moved to the other side of the store. I went over and gave it a closer look. I kind of felt sorry for it and heard it saying "save me" save me" so I bought it. It is cute.

All original and complete except for reflectors. It was a change of pace. I knew going in it was never going to be great but it's as good as it can be.

001.JPG

20210627_085251.jpg

20210627_085304.jpg

great work as always Bob. not sure i recognized this as your handiwork w/out whitewalls 😉
and thank you for centering that back wheel front to back. the before pic was killing me.

Thanks guys!!! Hey Jay I really wanted whitewalls and grips but could not find any that were reasonably priced. Of course in my mind it would look lots better with them. I had these new tires so went with them. Yep that back fender was part of the sadness!!

You sure have the magic touch Bob! I really wonder how rare something like this is. The Sting Ray line was still real popular then and I have to think these were produced in very limited numbers.

I did touch up a couple places. If you look at the original pic by the seat mast tube and by the Schwinn cross. Other than that just cleaning. GT: Too funny! When I went the second time I'm looking at it thinking the exact same things you said. The highlight of the actual buy was seeing the 19 year old girl cashier wide eyed shocked face when I asked if she could put it in a bag!!!

So a few weeks ago we went across town to Perkins ( only one within 60 miles now) for breakfast. IMO the best pancakes. Right by it is a Goodwill so stopped by after breakfast. Saw this rough 74 Opaque Blue 20" Speedster. Pretty sad looking and I thought I bet it will be $10. Nope it seems Goodwill has told their pricers to jack up prices and it was triple that. So I left it. A week later we were close again (no Perkins though) and I stopped and it was gone. But it was not gone just moved to the other side of the store. I went over and gave it a closer look. I kind of felt sorry for it and heard it saying "save me" save me" so I bought it. It is cute.

All original and complete except for reflectors. It was a change of pace. I knew going in it was never going to be great but it's as good as it can be.

View attachment 1437011

View attachment 1437012

View attachment 1437013
Hey Bob, Your little Speedster turned out GREAT!! Looks like a brand new bike. You sure know how to make a sad little Schwinn smile and shine. Thanks for saving and sharing a great bike. RideOn.. Razin...

What did you use to get the rust off the painted areas? I've been told several different ways but haven't tried it yet

Back