When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Script Front Hub Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Does anyone know when Schwinn outsourced their front hubs that had the Schwinn script in cursive and to what manufacturer? I usually don't collect any Schwinn middleweights later than 1963 so this hub strikes me as odd. The old style script on the Schwinn made hubs with the added APPROVED in block letters. The hub was laced up to a center stamped S-7. This looks like the Schwinn made hub but apparently it's not.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Probably Union Of Germany. The axle is probably Metric M8X1.The hex could be Metric M14-15 (I have both) or SAE 9/16" They did make Metric threaded axles with an SAE hex.I have one just like yours,its on a center stamped S-7.It has a 9/16" hex on one side and an M14 on the other....I think they outsourced all of their hubs.

Last edited:
The hub in my picture is a spitting image of the Schwinn made hub other than the Approved engraving. Schwinn built many of their hubs including the front and rear expander brake hubs and all their bearings, races, axles and cups. Before the Weinmann caliper brakes and levers were used, Schwinn made those too.
I'm still confused about this Schwinn hub being copied and made out of house.

1948_schwinn_10.jpg

Last edited:
Probably Union Of Germany. The axle is probably Metric M8X1.The hex could be Metric M14-15 (I have both) or SAE 9/16" They did make Metric threaded axles with an SAE hex.I have one just like yours,its on a center stamped S-7.It has a 9/16" hex on one side and an M14 on the other....I think they outsourced all of their hubs.

Could be. I had a middle weight with a hub like that several years ago and it did look Union-made to me-- a lot like a Union front hub I had in my parts box.

Well, A Metric hub that old,most likely isnt domestic.Maybe Sachs?

Last edited:
As a twice times banned member from the SBF there is no way to do a search there as a non member. It would take a visual search going thru all the sections and threads. After being a member there for some time this topic was never discussed. I did find something interesting though. The earlier Schwinn built front hub was replaced? and listed as a Schwinn Approved hub in the April 1962 parts catalog.

62parts42b.jpg

Did you check the pitch of the threads? I doubt Schwinn was using Metric @ the Chicago factory.The Approved stamp means it was sourced, not made by Schwinn,right?

Back