When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn scripted brake levers.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Would everyone agree that the fore brake with rear coaster was the more popular scenario? The left lever is most commonly used for the front brakes and if this was the more popular brake set up the script was intended for the left hand lever for the front drum.

had they known there would be alot of? about it,they prolly would have put thr namse on both sides!

I agree, that the Fore brake with a Coaster brake rear hub combination was the most popular set up sold, but you are wrong about which side the lever was located.
Schwinn always put the Fore Brake lever on the right side of the handlebar.
Would everyone agree that the fore brake with rear coaster was the more popular scenario? The left lever is most commonly used for the front brakes and if this was the more popular brake set up the script was intended for the left hand lever for the front drum.

Scripted that way so you, the rider could see it. Hell, why is the AS on the seat collar on the non flashy side of the bike? Only thing I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSCN2173.jpg

I always thought it was interesting that the original design called for the stamp but it didn't seem to show up until postwar production.

Schwinn marketing and advertising were probably not involved with the brake lever implementation, therefore the script issue facing out wasn't addressed...engineering then probably said, well it's labeled Schwinn that should be good enough...For those of us involved in mass manufacturing over the years, we are not surprised at some of the decision making on product and design at times. And once something is in production and being cranked out, change orders and redesign does not come easy.

Schwinn marketing and advertising were probably not involved with the brake lever implementation, therefore the script issue facing out wasn't addressed...engineering then probably said, well it's labeled Schwinn that should be good enough...For those of us involved in mass manufacturing over the years, we are not surprised at some of the decision making on product and design at times. And once something is in production and being cranked out, change orders and redesign does not come easy.

After looking at that drawing I can see exactly why the script is on the left side. Blame it on the draftsman for drawing the lever facing that direction and that's the way it was made, as per the drawing. Nobody ever gave it a second thought or maybe they didn't give a crap what side the script was on. I took three semesters of drafting, one mechanical, and I would have drawn the lever facing that direction also. During my 35 plus years in construction I've seen many drawings that were flawed and nobody ever caught the mistakes until the time of production or afterwards. Build it as per plans and don't question the engineer or the architect.

Yep!
I thought the same thing.
Most of those line drawings were drawn and signed by Frank Schwinn. This one isn't signed, but it definitely looks like his work, so you would think, he would've thought about the orientation of the lever and how it was going to look on the bike.

I agree, that the Fore brake with a Coaster brake rear hub combination was the most popular set up sold, but you are wrong about which side the lever was located.
Schwinn always put the Fore Brake lever on the right side of the handlebar.
Like a motorcycle

Back