When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn serial number confusion help

-

bleedingfingers

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone tell me what year this frame is serial number is E xxxxx E +5 digits on crank housing
curved bottom tube paint like a DX no badge non original crank square nuts on the seat post clamp
Thanks

IMG_9118.jpeg

Looks like a 48 but can't really tell without the ser. #'s

Have seen the angel fire list but every picture I've seen of a 48 has a straight bar
have also seen other lists with the E xxxxx code and 5 digits being different years
that's the confusing part I've seen all kinds of lists .
Chain stays say that era but its not a straight bar

Allright found some pictures on here of some 48 DX's that don't have a straight bar so that's what I'm calling it .
Thanks Guys

From what you posted ( Can anyone tell me what year this frame is serial number is E xxxxx E +5 digits on crank housing ) the serial number is a 1948 number. Not sure what other serial lists you're looking at unless they are for the serial stamped on the left rear drop out.

1948 Model D97X

1601957653678.png

Got some good info from this site

VAB-Logo.png

they said 1940s bike had D-F and 5 digits serial numbers but now I know they did not have built in kickstands and bottom bracket welds were different so no more confusion
Thanks for showing the catalogue shot of the DX.

Prewar and postwar Schwinns were not the same, but some of the serial numbers were.

Back