When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Reference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The SN being under the bottom bracket indicates it is '52 or earlier...so that would be a 'B', not an 'R'. That would put it in the range of the missing Schwinn serial numbers, probably a '46. The kickstand should taper...a feature on '46 and some '47s, from what I understand.

Reactions: SLM
My husband picked up this Schwinn for $40 and 6 beer. I can’t fiquire out the build date ? It looks like B85456 , he says it’s R85456 (1955??) It’s skip tooth/ sweet heart crank and old Schwinn badge. Any thoughts on its age ?

they made that frame in '46, '47 and 48. looks like the fenders have been changed. the seat is newer, sweetheart crank and badge probably came with it.
it more than likely would have had a scalloped paint job like my avatar. Schwinn DX
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Reactions: SLM
Looks like a B to me, so a 1946 with Shelby? fenders.

I like those fenders. especially the bendy braces.

<<<<same frame here. what year would an X be?

I like those fenders. especially the bendy braces.

<<<<same frame here. what year would an X be?

View attachment 1242494

I've seen quite a few X serial numbers but haven't been able to pin down the year for sure. It's one of those "just throw it in the pot" numbers that have shown up on a lot of Schwinns. In 1950 Schwinn threw some Z's in the pot just for fun. 1946 used three war time prefix letters along with A and B numbers. Some say C also but I'm guessing that's because they believed that the tapered stand was only used on the 46 models. So 1947 used the C and D numbers but the D numbers continued into August 1948. That leaves 1947 pretty short on cereal alpha bits. My study continues but at this time I think the Z numbers were used in 1947. If someone can prove or disprove that, I'd be happy to get more input on this.

Last edited:
Looked thru this thread and it seems no one is interested in really old early Arnold Schwinn bikes/frames.
There are none posted here pre-20's yet so I will start one off not on any charts for grins. Much discourse about numbers so posting this will only help. Just ignore the old Shelby crankset I put on this suspected AS early moto frame. 80mm vertical badge holes.

Like this one that surfaced on the motobike revenge thread below.
1597357076323.png

Last edited:
Looked thru this thread and it seems no one is interested in really old early Arnold Schwinn bikes/frames.
There are none posted here pre-20's yet so I will start one off not on any charts for grins. Much discourse about numbers so posting this will only help. Just ignore the old Shelby crankset I put on this suspected AS early moto frame. 80mm vertical badge holes.

You might try the "Schwinn pre war serial list" thread here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/prewar-schwinn-serial-list.49379/page-5

(I wish it were a pinned, sticky thread)

Back