When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Reference

-
Pretty sure that the serial number list is incorrect for January 1953 H models. the H numbers start out with
H60001. The other letters start from 0. for Example G00001. MY BFG schwinn has H13010 on the left rear kick out.
Best I can tell the chart is wrong or the bike was not built in Chicago? Anybody else have a bike in this serial serial number range?
I am thinking the 6 was an error and should have been a 0.

Pretty sure that the serial number list is incorrect for January 1953 H models. the H numbers start out with
H60001. The other letters start from 0. for Example G00001. MY BFG schwinn has H13010 on the left rear kick out.
Best I can tell the chart is wrong or the bike was not built in Chicago? Anybody else have a bike in this serial serial number range?
I am thinking the 6 was an error and should have been a 0.

Yup, there was a type error and it's not the only one. I've come across quite a few errors on the list over the years and have pointed some of them out in various threads on this site. I'm sure it was a pain staking task typing up that list so that it could be uploaded to the internet.

I have a Schwinn Racer stamped with SN W94201, yet this chart shows the 1956 SNs reaching as far as late June with W93942. (but not as far as W94201)

For all you Numberphiles, is this a 1956 racer? (assuming that the last of June production numbers did not make the list)
-or-
Is this another example of a mistake and this SN belongs in another year? (any guesses what year?)

More clues:
  1. SA hub shows 56 10
  2. Frame has an Aluminum winged head badge.
  3. Bolt-on kickstand, not built-in.
  4. Top-Hat decal on the seat tube.
  5. Downtube Schwinn logo is non-script.
Any input is appreciated, thanks!

IMG_2649.JPG

Looks ‘56. Frames usually have a date that precedes the hub date by a couple/few months. That’s the speedy Schwinn decal on the down tube which is consistent with that time period. It would be the aluminum winged badge for that period. First year for racer is ‘55 and those are pretty hard to find. Looks complete and in nice shape. Somewhat less common for a three SA shifter setup on a ladies racer because coaster brakes turn up more.

Looks ‘56. Frames usually have a date that precedes the hub date by a couple/few months. That’s the speedy Schwinn decal on the down tube which is consistent with that time period. It would be the aluminum winged badge for that period. First year for racer is ‘55 and those are pretty hard to find. Looks complete and in nice shape. Somewhat less common for a three SA shifter setup on a ladies racer because coaster brakes turn up more.
Thank you. I learned the name of several things which will help me use correct terms. Without knowing "speedy Schwinn decal" I'd be stuck trying to describe an animal that "eats bark and pretends he is a pincushion" instead of looking for a Porcupine. Also I appreciate the confirmation it looks like a '56 without confirming with a SN. I have a hunch that vintage ladies bikes in nice shape are more common these days because ladies did not abuse them.

I hope to give this to my sister, she was hit by a car and is just able to ride again.

I have a Schwinn Sprint about an 80's year but not sure when I look it up it comes up 1956 I added a pic can some one please help

DSCN4139.JPG

Check out the head badge for a small four digit stamping. That will give you the day of the year and the last digit of the year it was built. If a Taiwan build, check out the right rear drop out for a G + a 4 number stamping. That's the month and year the frame was made.

Check out the head badge for a small four digit stamping. That will give you the day of the year and the last digit of the year it was built. If a Taiwan build, check out the right rear drop out for a G + a 4 number stamping. That's the month and year the frame was made.
Thank You Very much

Looked thru this thread and it seems no one is interested in really old early Arnold & Schwinn bikes or frames.
There are none posted here pre—20's yet so I will start one off not on any charts for grins. Much discourse about numbers so posting this will only help.
Perhaps a separatePre-1933 A&S Serial Numbers—Only (no letters)” thread with pictures, and estimated years, might be in order for the “Antique Bicycles Pre-1933” forum.
[Taking some liberty with the 1935-thing].

The various Mead Chicago family of bikes or frames, only—if presumed* likely to be pre-1930’s A&S-built can be welcomed in such a thread.
ToC bikes— maybe some of those ancient bikes might be okay too, only—if A&S-built, just to be more inclusive.
that's a lot of pages. is there a list
Interesting that this thread was not started until 2014.

Last edited:
Perhaps a separatePre-1933 A&S Serial Numbers—Only (no letters)” thread with pictures, and estimated years, might be in order for the “Antique Bicycles Pre-1933” forum.
[Taking some liberty with the 1935-thing].

The various Mead Chicago family of bicycle frames, presumed* to pre-1930’s A&S-built might also be welcomed in such a thread. ToC bikes— maybe some of those too might be okay, if A&S-built, just to be more inclusive.

Interesting that this thread was not started until 2014.
Yes... Let's do it. Be nice to include any marketing/catalogs/spec sheets, etc. from the period as well.

Back