When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Reference

-
Hey Wes and all other nay sayers (protectors of information really), I asked repeatedly to have this information removed from the cabe, after all the BS.
Hit the report button, ask for removal.

Post the correct one then obi
There isn't one.... the pre 35 numbers you posted look like someone played fill in the gaps....look at it.... if I was going to trust a prewar schwinn serial list it would be the one on bicycle chronicles Web site. Granted that's only 35 and up.. but if your list can't even get those right then I'd be hard pressed to believe the numbers before that!... Things have changed a bit since 2001 when 3 men went into a basement to create this mythical serial guide to only be seen by secret members on a full moon..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ok, well there must be some basis to dismiss the list I posted. From my use of it , it's proven accurate. How can we improve it?
I dig the mystical thing, right on!
There isn't one.... the pre 35 numbers you posted look like someone played fill in the gaps....look at it.... if I was going to trust a prewar schwinn serial list it would be the one on bicycle chronicles Web site. Granted that's only 35 and up.. but if your list can't even get those right then I'd be hard pressed to believe the numbers before that!... Things have changed a bit since 2001 when 3 men went into a basement to create this mythical serial guide to only be seen by secret members on a full moon..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Those numbers [posted here on the Cabe ] were from the late John Polizi who copyrighted probably everything he ever printed. They appeared in his "Newsletter By John" published July 1 2011.
Shortly before he passed away he examined my 3 thirties Rangers numbers and recorded the other 40's and 30's Schwinn's I own. He told me he was about to publish new list that would put to rest any doubt of the pre-war years and the missing early post war numbers. Unfortunately his cancer got the best of him and his notes and conclusions were never published.
It should be noted that these numbers do not stand for Whizzers, cycle trucks, tandems and most likely the light weights. Yes some numbers were repeated. Consideration should be given as to where the number is stamped on the frame and that Schwinn stamped numbers on a frame. Not on a completed bike .
John would want this to be posted.
I want to add this: John personally told me that Schwinn was never thinking that folks like us would be collecting these bikes and making such a big deal 70 years later as to when a bike was built.
For the life of me I can't remember what years it was but he told me [I'am going to say leftover 1934] frames were used up before the war. Schwinn didn't waste anything.

Last edited:
DEAR DAVE; I HAVE BEEN READING THE SCHWINN SERIAL NUMBER REFERENCE WITH MUCH INTEREST AND HOPE YOU CAN CLEAR UP A POINT I AM NOT SURE ABOUT. IN THE BOOK ''CLASSIC SCHWINN BICYCLES'' BY WILLIAM LOVE, IT SAYS ON PAGE 27 THAT THE SERIAL NOS. WERE STAMPED ON THE LEFT REAR DROPOUT FROM APRIL 1952 THROUGH EARLY 1970. WOULDN'T THAT THEN MEAN THAT THE SERIAL NOS. APPEARED ON THE BOTTOM BRACKET FOR JAN. FEB. AND MARCH OF 1952 AND NOT ON THE LEFT REAR DROPOUT UNTIL APRIL 1952 ? IF THIS IS TRUE I HAVEN'T SEEN IT MENTIONED ON ANY SERIAL NUMBER LISTING. I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME MAKE SENSE OUT OF THIS. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, '' JOHNBOY''

Back