When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Reference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1946 series Hxxxxx Ixxxxx Jxxxxx A0xxxx (small type face) Bxxxxx
Cxxxxx (low number)

Cxxxxx is probably a cusp number between 46 and 47. More on the 47 side.

1947 series Cxxxxx/Dxxxxx

1948 series Dxxxxx ect...

Identifying features:

Skinny drop outs (1946)
Razor edge fenders
Shortie rear fender(early 1946 rare)
light cover has deep rear screw hole
Raised or de bossed style AS clamp(rare)
Non scripted light lens
Tapered pencil kick stand
Canti frames have more of a hump to the top tube. (Early)
Straight bars ie "fat bars" have same dia bottom tubing. (This feature also was found on later years and is not solely indicative of a 1946)
Rack clamp is a one piece flat band aid shaped plate.
Rear top stay fender bracket is sometimes tubular on early frames. (I've only seen this on dx models). My 46 rear fender stay mount is taller and more boxy then late 40s 50s style.
Early 46 tanks have been seen with tapped brackets ie left over snap style prewar tanks.
Big outtie delta horn button and tank hole (prewar size).
Chain guard front frame mount tab is thinner with bigger hole.
Grips will be oval with one tail coming off N without double back crossover(late prewar style)
Rear chevron will be shorter on 46.
Drop center rims or sometimes Lobdell flat profile rims.
1946 bikes have been found with 1941 stamped dogleg cranks
skinny truss rods.
Springer pivot bolt rumored to be chrome on early 46?
Pivot clip was prewar style half clip.(early)
Springer fenders sported diamond and tombstone reinforcement tabs
Granted stuff got replaced or got carried over ie pencil stand.
Note; (A) serial started again in 51 but in regular larger print.
What I have gathered doing research and asking experts is that the I J and K serials would have been left over prewar BB shells and or frames that had already been stamped prior. A being the first true postwar serial. Hope this helps. Pm me if you have any further questions or would like to add something to the list. Thank you
What year would you say
when it comes to small letters R and X

If someone wants to add information for serial number prior to 1948, please post that here.

Please don't reply with discussion beyond that.. I want to keep this thread strictly related to serial number ID.

Thanks,
DS

If someone wants to add information for serial number prior to 1948, please post that here.

Please don't reply with discussion beyond that.. I want to keep this thread strictly related to serial number ID.

Thanks,
DS
Good afternoon, I'm new to this forum and don't know much or have any knowledge about bikes or Schwinn in general. I know you said not to post here but I can't seem to get any help on a s/n of an old Schwinn my grandma left me if you or someone can please help me. The number is (678279) I know there should be some kind of lettering in the beginning but there isn't. Thank you in advance

1644372052295579478177537331229.jpg

16443720691373151173108478404336.jpg

Good afternoon, I'm new to this forum and don't know much or have any knowledge about bikes or Schwinn in general. I know you said not to post here but I can't seem to get any help on a s/n of an old Schwinn my grandma left me if you or someone can please help me. The number is (678279) I know there should be some kind of lettering in the beginning but there isn't. Thank you in advance

View attachment 1566813

View attachment 1566814
It is later then'75 , there should be a date code stamped on the crank. You would need to remove the crank to view it. There is no serial number reference for the Pixie

The crank? I'm sorry is that the disc part?

The crank is the part that the pedals are attached to. If that's a 1976 or later there will be a four digit stamping on the Schwinn badge at the front of the bike, stamped next to the letter I. It will give you the day and last digit of the year the bike was built. DDDY.

The crank is the part that the pedals are attached to. If that's a 1976 or later there will be a four digit stamping on the Schwinn badge at the front of the bike, stamped next to the letter I. It will give you the day and last digit of the year the bike was built. DDDY.
It doesn't have anything where I looked. In the front it has 2436 bit no letters

Back