When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Reference

-
[I would only trust the information from the original source, as copies (especially unauthorized ones) can introduce errors. For example the ORIGINAL 1970 through 1982 page it states: "NUMBERS ARE NOW LOCATED ON THE LOWER LEFT OF THE HEADTUBE (By The Schwinn Badge On The Front OF The Frame)", whereas on the COPIED 1970 through 1982 page it states "Serial #'s are now on the lower left of the headtube, by the Schinn badge on fromt of the frame". :(

Or in the case of my 75 Typhoon where everyone is wrong, it is stamped upside down and backwards at the top of the headtube, must have been hung on the line wrong and stamped as hung, because no one stops a production line and keeps their job, unless maybe it's ripping someones arm off.

Or in the case of my 75 Typhoon where everyone is wrong, it is stamped upside down at the top of the headtube, must have been hung on the line wrong and stamped as hung, because no one stops a production line and keeps their job, unless maybe it's ripping someones arm off.

Schwinn head tubes were fabricated from a flat piece of stock when the fillet brazed frames were no longer and EF came into play. That piece of flat steel for the head tube went thru many stampings, then rolled and then welded together. Here's the deal on the upside down SN. The serial numbers were stamped by an automatic stamping machine and the head tube was put in the machine upside down. I've seen a few of these along with a double stamping of the SN. One on the left top upside down and then a different SN stamping on the right bottom in the correct spot. Schwinn quit stamping the SN's when the frame was built, if in fact that was the process, when they quit stamping the numbers by hand. All auto stamped SN's were stamped on the component prior to any welding, building of the frame etc.

Last edited:
I need some help on a serial number. The bike has a head badge that says Shwinn Chicago. It is a Cruiser 5. The serial number is BV 10052. I can not locate BV serial numbers and for all purposes the lists stop at 1982. If it was past 1982, I thought Chicago was out of business. Any help or direction would be great.

I need some help on a serial number. The bike has a head badge that says Shwinn Chicago. It is a Cruiser 5. The serial number is BV 10052. I can not locate BV serial numbers and for all purposes the lists stop at 1982. If it was past 1982, I thought Chicago was out of business. Any help or direction would be great.

Check the headbadge stamping next to the I for the Julian date, which was when the bike was built. BV serial indicates the serial number was stamped February 1984. More than likely a Murray built Schwinn.

Hello Dave a prewar Schwinn Cycle truck with serial number I38618, when do you believe it was built? Thanks for your help

Hello Dave a prewar Schwinn Cycle truck with serial number I38618, when do you believe it was built? Thanks for your help
My prewar cycle truck serial # is also an I series with mostly black out parts, i'm still trying to find out what year it is

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_0337.jpg

Back