When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Reference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That's not a Chicago Schwinn. Japan or other import maybe by Giant. If it is a Schwinn, the build date should be stamped on the head badge.
See if this site's info helps. http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

Thank you for the site reference. This helped - turns out to be a Taiwan made Schwinn - Circa 83. Serial number is on the right rear axle. The head badge does say Chicago Schwinn.

IMG_2326.JPG

In the case of your bike that head badge reference to Chicago is where the company offices were not where the bike was built. Schwinn did that for years after they quit building bikes in the USA. Roger

Hello all... I am fairly new to the older Schwinn game and recently picked up a cantilever cruiser frame for a project. I couldn’t find any info on the serial#, which is Y6401229, on the left rear dropout. The head badge also has a 2436 stamping... any ideas on the year? It came with the more modern straight tube forks!

2436 means the 243 day of a year ending in 6. Maybe 1976 the first year this system was used at the earliest but could be 1986. 1996 or 2006. Pictures would solve this. The Yxxxxx means is is not US made. Roger

It could be a 1976 or 86 frame. Leaning towards 1986 because if the serial number you listed. The bottom bracket is not Schwinn but a 3 piece conversion kit. Hubs are off a different bike also a Cruisers didn't have quick releases. You have a Schwinn overseas framed frankenbike. Could be a nice rider but will never be very valuable. As it sits with the wheels and tires it might be worth $80 +. Roger

It could be a 1976 or 86 frame. Leaning towards 1986 because if the serial number you listed. The bottom bracket is not Schwinn but a 3 piece conversion kit. Hubs are off a different bike also a Cruisers didn't have quick releases. You have a Schwinn overseas framed frankenbike. Could be a nice rider but will never be very valuable. As it sits with the wheels and tires it might be worth $80 +

I picked up the just frame and fork for a project... all the parts you see, I added to include the square spindle and cranks. Here it looks s as of yesterday, today disassembled for powder coat!

49820_C49-3_D81-41_D8-_AF69-4_CC7618_C2543.jpg

BE0_FEAD9-_E32_F-4_ACC-_AB8_F-0531_F329987_A.jpg

FAB4_D960-0_D96-4969-_BD45-_FB940082_CE11.jpg

You built a modern "Klunker Mt Bike". A niche bike if its own and there are many people who like them including myself. That kind of makes the when the frame was bult not a real important question. Enjoy your ride. Roger

You built a modern "Klunker Mt Bike". A niche bike if its own and there are many people who like them including myself. That kind of makes the when the frame was bult not a real important question. Enjoy your ride. Roger

Thanks Roger... yep, the year really isn’t important to me, it was just curiosity!

Back