When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Reference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
mazdaflyer said:
Look like the could be brothers, similar paint. I’d like to a shot of your chain guard and stem.
So what year do you think yours is?

Thanks, they do look like brothers! The B10 Brothers, lol.

When I pulled the bottom bracket apart for cleaning, the crank had 'AS 36' stamped in it, which I took to be 1936. I believe the fork and top/bottom bracket parts are original to the frame, as they had 80+ years of crud binding them together and wrestled with me like a hungry alligator to take apart. The rest of the bike was missing when I got it, so parts like the chain guard, stem, and fenders were added. If you haven't looked at the crank, it might have a number date on it like this.
Schwinn_B10_'36_Crank.jpg

Not to be a spoiler, but prewar serials don't seem to have the standardization or consistency that postwar do, so judging a prewar's build date by the serial number alone can be pretty iffy. The parts (like fenders, pedal crank) and overall presentation of the bike is a better indicator of the model and date.

(The chain guard in the photo above was 'borrowed' temporarily from another B10 that has entirely different parts and serial. Here's a closer pic of that chain guard).

Excelsior_B10_chain_guard.jpg

Thanks, they do look like brothers! The B10 Brothers, lol.

When I pulled the bottom bracket apart for cleaning, the crank had 'AS 36' stamped in it, which I took to be 1936. I believe the fork and top/bottom bracket parts are original to the frame, as they had 80+ years of crud binding them together and wrestled with me like a hungry alligator to take apart. The rest of the bike was missing when I got it, so parts like the chain guard, stem, and fenders were added. If you haven't looked at the crank, it might have a number date on it like this.
View attachment 956206

Not to be a spoiler, but prewar serials don't seem to have the standardization or consistency that postwar do, so judging a prewar's build date by the serial number alone can be pretty iffy. The parts (like fenders, pedal crank) and overall presentation of the bike is a better indicator of the model and date.

(The chain guard in the photo above was 'borrowed' temporarily from another B10 that has entirely different parts and serial. Here's a closer pic of that chain guard).

View attachment 956202
Your chainguard looks to be pretty much a match with mine and the chainring on your B10 bike. I haven’t done any work on the bike yet other than looking it over. I’m planning on saving it until it warms up towards late spring early summer.
So what’s the difference between a B9 and a B10? I saw B9 show up in another discussion, also B10E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "E" designation stands for Equipped - Tank, light, horn, crossbar handlebars, rack on the back.... or at least that is what I pick up in the catalog.
B9 and B10 are more basic models without the goodies.

REC

The "E" designation stands for Equipped - Tank, light, horn, crossbar handlebars, rack on the back.... or at least that is what I pick up in the catalog.

REC
Thanks! That seems to clarify the B10E for me. This is the first Schwinn bike I’ve had this old, so lots of learning to go for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REC
Schwinn newbie I am...after a little help here and some RRB help it’s becoming a little more clear.
In 1933 there were several models.

B10E Motorbike - 26” balloon tires, fully equipped, tank, rack, light, horn the works.
B9 Motorbike - 26” balloon tires, basic two bar bike.
B4 Camelback - 26” balloon tires, basic bike.
All three were 18” x 22” frames.
There were also 16” x 22” frame models.

I’m guessing these model continued for a few years.

REF: www.bikehistory.org for more Schwinn History information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second post in this thread by Dave S.

If someone wants to add information for serial number prior to 1948, please post that here.

Please don't reply with discussion beyond that.. I want to keep this thread strictly related to serial number i.d..

Thanks,

DS

I figure this is another Noob question but I'm somewhat stumped on this one, this is either a pre fire '48# or they were using some really old parts to build S-4 Whizzers in 1952? and of course its on the BB ...

F4 WZ F99643.jpg

if this was a May '49 wouldn't it be "F099643" and if it was a December '52 the # wouldn't be on the BB correct? Its got OG ducktail rear fender, skiptooth New Departure hub, planes and trains headbadge etc. Unless the 1952 BB # stamp cutoff doesn't apply to Whizzer frames?

wz.jpg

I know its a J motor but it may have been updated if the frame turns out to be a '48?

I figure this is another Noob question but I'm somewhat stumped on this one, this is either a pre fire '48# or they were using some really old parts to build S-4 Whizzers in 1952? and of course its on the BB ...

View attachment 1017262
if this was a May '49 wouldn't it be "F099643" and if it was a December '52 the # wouldn't be on the BB correct? Its got OG ducktail rear fender, skiptooth New Departure hub, planes and trains headbadge etc. Unless the 1952 BB # stamp cutoff doesn't apply to Whizzer frames?

View attachment 1017264
I know its a J motor but it may have been updated if the frame turns out to be a '48?
Not sure on the year but that is one beautiful whizzer! The patina is perfect! Great bike.

Back