When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Stamping

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Luck of the draw, my two Sports Tourer's 72 and 73 frames and 76 Superior frame look as bad or worse than that black 80 cruiser. They will undoubtedly be almost invisible after a base coat clear coat paint job. The 73 already is. I picked out the serial numbers with a needle just to be sure that they were absolutely clean before the paint went on. Primer, sealer, several base coats and then the clear, they did not have a chance.

Last edited:
I don't think you can ascribe that to a given year or a specific change over time. I'd say the stamps were affected more by the operator and machine settings, combined with wear on the dies. Given they stamped more than a million bikes some years I'd imagine the dies would have to be changed from time to time. For example here is a '73 Continental with a very light stamp:

Yeah, it was that up-side-down blue 80's cruiser that kicked me off, as its stamp sucks in all directions! [grin] , and my 80 black seems not to swell, but, I looked at others too. This set on a late 80 frame 1981 build, and it's tight..

Come to tink on it, I'm tinkin now, that, errors in such things devalues a collectible as, peps like accuracy as much as best original paint too. I mean, like, if they'd put decals on a bike as crappy as some numbers were, who'd pick that 1st? ? Who's Choice bike was built on 'Hangover Monday', and loves it? [grin]

BTW CDS, your's is an MR, my black is an HR, and so, this below, truly really is 'close' in time.. just 1,705 lower, like, within a day or so. An me bets that your build date, on your badge, is 81 too.

Regardless we're getting side tracked, while that brown set Metacortex posted today raps the subject tight, like earlier, the green, there's no way they'd been stamped on flat pre-molded metal.

Serial-numbers.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 287882 1975 Speedster with stamp off centered as well

From the pic it looks like the serial number starts with "LJ", which dates the frame (or at least the head tube) to Nov. 1973. However the bike is painted Opaque Red (a 1974 only color), which means it wasn't painted and built into a bike until early in 1974. That of course makes it a '74 model, here is the catalog page for that year:

1974_19.jpg

Here's the SN from my new '76 Continental ... I thought it was a little odd that the CM isn't lined up with the numbers. They sure nailed that "3" in there good, though. :eek:
20160217_144214 (2).jpg

From the pic it looks like the serial number starts with "LJ", which dates the frame (or at least the head tube) to Nov. 1973. However the bike is painted Opaque Red (a 1974 only color), which means it wasn't painted and built into a bike until early in 1974. That of course makes it a '74 model, here is the catalog page for that year:

1974_19.jpg

1974_19.jpg
Agreed, Metacortex...the Speedster is a '74 model built late '73 in one year only Opaque red. I have a stingray with JK stamp also a '74 model built in Sept. '74 and in one year availability opaque red too

Back