When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Numbers Explained

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I saw that and it's full of incorrect information. The person that created that didn't have a clue and shouldn't have been rewriting Schwinn's history. Lot's a BS in there so don't believe everything you read.

Middleweights were introduced in the Summer of 1954. :tonguewink:

1593574195074.png

The frame construction part is really whacked. It doesn’t seem like you can make hard rules like that when the construction techniques were changed on different frame styles at different times. Rear dropouts appeared on lightweight frames in 1940.

Also, just because the records were destroyed in 48 doesn’t mean we don't have any idea how the serial numbers were deployed before then. The fire didn’t destroy all the bikes built before 1948 or burn all their serial numbers off.

A house fire burned all our kids birth certificates so I don’t know how old any of them are any more...Seriously?

None of the comments here should be taken as an attack on @Xlobsterman. I appreciate getting to see stuff like this. It’s Schwinn‘s consumer relations in 1981 fault.

+ 1 on that. ^^

I saw this file a few days ago and couldn't believe what was printed on those pages. It almost looked like a fake Schwinn bulletin written up by some Joe Blow. Someone from Schwinn calling a drop out a Fish Hook (to the front)? Really? LMAO

If anyone cares or wants to know when the serial numbers were moved to the head tube look at my pictures below. It sure wasn't at the end of 1971 or the beginning of 1972 as stated in that bulletin. This is a Tandem that was equipped with two sets of serial numbers when the SN's were moved.

1593588653584.png

1593588683062.png

I saw this file a few days ago and couldn't believe what was printed on those pages. It almost looked like a fake Schwinn bulletin written up by some Joe Blow. Someone from Schwinn calling a drop out a Fish Hook (to the front)? Really? LMAO

YES.....REALLY........!

They were referencing the style of dropout, and if you had an open mind, you would actually see it does look like fish hook by the way it curves back around on itself!

An open mind? Or the mind of an adolescent making up names. :rolleyes: Schwinn was one of the first to use the rear "drop out" in the US and I'll call it what it is and what it was named, not something someone thinks it looks like. If I was going to refer to it as something that it looked like using my open mind (imagination), I'd call it a clevis hook fork end. It's called a drop out for specific reason and it seems that many here don't have any idea what a rear drop out fork actually is or why it's called that. The rear facing "track fork" is not any type of drop out. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand, it's so damn simple! Here's a solution for the learning impaired. Lets call the forward facing rear fork end a drop out. Then we'll call the rear facing fork end a pull out. Now that's what I call some open minded thinking.
1593593950403.png

1593591805175.png

1593593938247.png

Back