When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Numbers Explained

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
An open mind? Or the mind of an adolescent making up names. :rolleyes: Schwinn was one of the first to use the rear "drop out" in the US and I'll call it what it is and what it was named, not something someone thinks it looks like. If I was going to refer to it as something that it looked like using my open mind (imagination), I'd call it a clevis hook fork end. It's called a drop out for specific reason and it seems that many here don't have any idea what a rear drop out fork actually is or why it's called that. The rear facing "track fork" is not any type of drop out. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand, it's so damn simple! Here's a solution for the learning impaired. Lets call the forward facing rear fork end a drop out. Then we'll call the rear facing fork end a pull out. Now that's what I call some open minded thinking.
View attachment 1221603
View attachment 1221601

View attachment 1221602

DUDE............I think you need to take a nice relaxing fishing trip, and use some fish hooks to help you relax a bit...............LMFAO

Here is a pic of a Mako Shark I caught on a "Fish Hook" a few years ago now! Notice the smile on my face after a great day of fishing :D

mako.jpg

None of the comments here should be taken as an attack on @Xlobsterman. I appreciate getting to see stuff like this. It’s Schwinn‘s consumer relations in 1981 fault.

I knew when I posted this there were going to be certain individuals that would jump all over it and dispute the information in it.

And all "FISH HOOKS" aside, take the info for what it is worth, and have a great 4th of July holiday weekend............!

Lets call the forward facing rear fork end a drop out. Then we'll call the rear facing fork end a pull out. Now that's what I call some open minded thinking.
View attachment 1221603

I had always thought that it was just a rear fork. This is a page from a 1949 Schwinn catalog. Check out item #33

1593741919445.png

Last edited:
I had always thought that it was just a rear fork. This is a page from a 1949 Schwinn catalog. Check out item #33

View attachment 1222550

Yep, exactly. But that's not what the masses today call it. And #32, front fork. Ever hear, "My front forks are bent"?

80% of the members here should read this. No such thing as a rear facing drop out.

1593743931326.png

It's hilarious how this message thread about Schwinn "Serial Numbers" has turned into a thread about rear fish hook style drop outs...........:rolleyes:

Anyhow, everybody enjoy the 4th of July weekend. I have my box of fish hooks, and I am going fishing this weekend! :p

Last edited:
Back