When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Sierra 15 speed lightweight

-
I believe the first three years of the Varsity were Ideale saddles, but when they switched to Sprint components in 64 they were also equipped with Sprint saddles for the next few years?

I believe the first three years of the Varsity were Ideale saddles, but when they switched to Sprint components in 64 they were also equipped with Sprint saddles for the next few years?
The sprint saddles were re-branded ideale

The sprint saddles were re-branded ideale

-----

in case any readers are interested in more information on Tron et Berthet products there is a link here -

keep in mind that the manufacturer had at least three other marques. some saddle models such as Nr. 4 and Nr. 39 were offered across marques.

the other names were FRANCIEX, NOREX & BIM

-----

There also seems to be some evidence that some of the '63 Varsities came equipped with the Lycett L15ST saddle, as also used on the Continental and Sierra.
It may have been due to a sourcing problem.
The 67 Continental I picked up last year came to me with the Lycett saddle in good shape.

I'm betting the supply and demand was a big issue during the early years of the road bike saddles.

Left column 1962.

1667272342942.png

Thank you all for all of the additional info. I knew about the Norex and Bim brands , but didn’t know that Sprint were also rebranded Ideale!

Back