When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCHWINN Sierra

-

MySchwinnSierra

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello, looking for a rear 27 inch rim for a 1977 SCHWINN Sierra nice condition with a 77 dated hub. Will also accept rim that needs respoking. No rust all chrome

The 1970s Sierra was a one-year thing that might as well be a Continental, but I doubt everyone reading knows that.

Do you have the 1977 dated hub or is it missing? What rim is this you need and what tire size does it take? I'm guessing based on Continental specs that this is a Schwinn S6 steel rim for a 27 inch tire, but you should post what it is to remove all doubt. The original rims should be marked.

The 1970s Sierra was a one-year thing that might as well be a Continental, but I doubt everyone reading knows that.

Do you have the 1977 dated hub or is it missing? What rim is this you need and what tire size does it take? I'm guessing based on Continental specs that this is a Schwinn S6 steel rim for a 27 inch tire, but you should post what it is to remove all doubt. The original rims should be marked.
Hello and thanks for getting back to me. I'm the original owner of the bicycle. Got it for Christmas 1977 . I must have put 100k + miles on it over the years. It's been outta service for about three years, kept breaking spokes. A restoration shop told me he could re do the spokes but I thought maybe there's a minty rim out there somewhere. It's all original hardly a scratch. 1977 27 inch rims. Tires are 27 1 1/4. Would like to get one marked 23-77 on the hub just like the original.

All it needs is spokes?! Replace them! Re-lace the wheel. Or, have a shop do it. Any bike shop can do it. Or, you can do it yourself. There is a tutorial thread here on the CABE, and also instructions on the late great Sheldon Brown's website. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html There is nothing magic about another whole wheel. I was expecting you had a bent or rusted out rim or maybe a wheel that had been changed for a non-matching one. The whole bike looks really nice, wheels too. Broken spokes were probably too loose, and broke from fatigue.

If you want to be strictly authentic, there are people on this board who can supply new-old-stock galvanized double-butted spokes like Schwinn used, but I would get modern spokes. They are stainless now, and are much stronger. You can still get double butted too. They don't look quite the same, but you'll never know unless you get your eyeball down there. Best of all they don't tarnish like the old ones.

If it's a whole wheel or two you want though, you could put an ad in the classifieds here. Someone here is bound to have wheels like that, although matching date codes might be tougher. Good luck whichever way you go. Welcome to the CABE!

Last edited:
All it needs is spokes?! Replace them! Re-lace the wheel. Or, have a shop do it. Any bike shop can do it. Or, you can do it yourself. There is a tutorial thread here, and also instructions on the late great Sheldon Brown's website. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html There is nothing magic about another whole wheel. I was expecting you had a bent or rusted out rim or maybe a whole wheel that had been changed for a non-matching one. The whole looks really nice, wheels too. Broken spokes were probably too loose, and broke from fatigue.

If you want to be strictly authentic, there are people on this board who can supply new-old-stock galvanized double-butted spokes like Schwinn used, but I would get modern spokes. They are stainless now, and are much stronger. You can still get double butted too. They don't look quite the same, but you'll never know unless you get your eyeball down there. Best of all they don't tarnish like the old ones.

If it's a whole wheel or two you want though, you could put an ad in the classifieds here. Someone here is bound to have wheels like that, although matching date codes might be tougher. Good luck whichever way you go. Welcome to the CABE!
Thanks for the advice, I truly appreciate it. Yes the bicycle restoration shop here says the same exact thing you said, go with the new stainless steel ones. Just thought a pair of shining NOS chrome rims would make it look great. You know it's funny but before I found this bicycle restoration shop I went to a couple of local bicke shops and explained my issue. Neither wanted to touch it when they heard steel rims.

Thanks for the advice, I truly appreciate it. Yes the bicycle restoration shop here says the same exact thing you said, go with the new stainless steel ones. Just thought a pair of shining NOS chrome rims would make it look great. You know it's funny but before I found this bicycle restoration shop I went to a couple of local bicke shops and explained my issue. Neither wanted to touch it when they heard steel rims.
The interior of the rims are a bit rusty that's why I was thinking replacement. I can't seem to locate the link to find merchandise for sale here on THECABE.

Cool. Never knew schwinn had a road bike Sierra. I guess they repurposed the name when introduced mtb Sierra line

Like the bike. The black was only the last half of the year. It replaced Flamingo paint because of poor sales on the mens bike. As said it was the Continental in 76 then the Sierra for 77 and then the Continental II in 78. The bikes are all the same other than the name. Here is a pic of the Flamingo

001 (2).JPG

Back