When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Skipper with Brake Bridge???

-
I can vouch for that theory, a few shops I worked at over the years things got chromed at lunch time that were never supposed to be chromed. Guys got busy at lunch time doing what we called "government jobs". I built a few myself.

Not necessarily them matching up parts on a bike that normally wouldn't be on the same bike. I meant did employee's ever for example build a 20" typhoon frame with like in a 3 speed bridge so as to make a 5 speed short frame krate. I ask because ive seen claims online that suggest certain schwinn employee's did thatat various times. I can recall seeing a bike that was a cross between a stingray and a minitwinn. The bike was the same size as a stingray with the frame matching the stingrays frame except it look to have another half frame sliced to it. And they were claiming some big wig at schwinn had it done. Similar to the stories of a grape krate being built in the 1970s

I know the 1st and last pic are a built frame from two donor bikes. But the 2nd pic i saw for sale claiming it was all original. That it was built like that at a factory.

All rumors and bogus claims.
Yeah, I have not heard of any verified claims of welding mods being factory for regular production bikes either. Paramounts are the only exception, but they are a breed all they're own.
I have absolutely seen a lot of claims made, but always on bikes that are clearly repainted, voiding any credibility.
The factory one offs that I have seen verified usually involve paint(not as a normal option) or parts swaps. Take the light blue Fastback with publicity photos for example.

All rumors and bogus claims.
You are a very knowledgeable person when it comes to these bikes, so let me ask you this question. Were the rumors of a few Grape Krate actually being built in the early 70s for birthday presents for certain employee's kids actually true or just fiction.

You are a very knowledgeable person when it comes to these bikes, so let me ask you this question. Were the rumors of a few Grape Krate actually being built in the early 70s for birthday presents for certain employee's kids actually true or just fiction.

Fiction

Back