When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Speedster RestoMod

-

12speedjeff

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi guys!

First time poster here, and I'm super glad that a place like this exists! Just wanted to share my first restomod on this old Schwinn Speedster(?let me know if you guys think its something else, can't figure out the year)

I used Montana Gold 'Ketchup' paint with a 2k Clear Coat Automotive finish(Kept the original handlebar grips as a nod to the factory paint job). Still thinking of replacing the seat with a more period appropriate one. I cold set the frame to fit 26" wheels and looking for some chrome fenders to match. Decals are vinyl from a seller on eBay. Everything else is pretty much original. I've included a picture of the original paint that was under the headbadge! Anyways, let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
I don't think that would have originally been a speedster with a 5 speed. cool bike though, I have a 61 speedster in that frame size.

Schwinn used 5he Speedster name without regard to frame style or anything else. In 64 and 65 the Speedster name was used on bottom of the line middleweights and diamond framed lightweights. The speedster name does not necessarily describe one model or style of bicycle. The only thing you can do is determine the year then check catalog scans to see which of the many styles you may have.

With that gearing I bet it rides really nice, great work on the whole bike.. I would say a mesinger saddle would be the finishing touch.

That's a good looking transformation. 👍 The original was undoubtedly a 1969 or pre May 1970 serial Collegiate. The serial on the left rear drop out will give you an idea on what year it was built.

Schwinn used 5he Speedster name without regard to frame style or anything else. In 64 and 65 the Speedster name was used on bottom of the line middleweights and diamond framed lightweights. The speedster name does not necessarily describe one model or style of bicycle. The only thing you can do is determine the year then check catalog scans to see which of the many styles you may have.

The last year for the Middleweight Speedster was 1961.

Back