When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn SPEEDWAY and LIBERTY

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

petrohead

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Does anyone know how to date a Schwinn Liberty or Speedway? I have a girls 26" speedway that looks to be 1940's and a men's Liberty that seems to 40's as well but can't find info on dating these (date codes do not match up to regular Schwinns.

Speedway
DSC04153-1.jpg

DSC04152-1.jpg

DSC04150.gif

DSC04151-1.jpg

DSC04156-1.jpg

Liberty
DSC04139-1.jpg

DSC04137-1.jpg

DSC04138-1.jpg

Very cool. How do you get to that number? Can you decipher or are there charts somewhere? Thanks!!! Now do I keep them, sell them, Trade Them? Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Rough guess of the serial numbers for prewar Schwinns.

There is a compilation serial number chart for prewar Schwinns that was posted here on the Cabe awhile back, and I just took it from there.
Large regular spaced digits in the same style as post war Schwinns,
1939 A00100-C10999
1940 C11000-E53499
1941 E53500-H99999
1942 I00100-I98189
As for keeping the bikes versus selling the bikes. It just depends on how much you love them. I'm sure that there are many people here that would like to have them if you should decide to let them go.

Post a link please

There is a compilation serial number chart for prewar Schwinns that was posted here on the Cabe awhile back, and I just took it from there.
Large regular spaced digits in the same style as post war Schwinns,
1939 A00100-C10999
1940 C11000-E53499
1941 E53500-H99999
1942 I00100-I98189
As for keeping the bikes versus selling the bikes. It just depends on how much you love them. I'm sure that there are many people here that would like to have them if you should decide to let them go.

Can you post a link to the chart for those of us that are new to the site?

thank you,
Okozzy.

Last edited:
That compilation is not very accurate just to let you know. I have had A 38's D 39's and F 40's... All by dating the crank (original to the bikes) and other characteristics. I would start there when dating prewar. Some people say that earlier dated cranks can be found in later bikes like a 38 crank in a 39 dx for example which is true but seldom found. Your H is most likely a 41 and the F maybe 40.

I agree,

The number chart is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Use the features of the bike as well as the chart, and you still have a very loose idea of when the bike was made.

I just finished detailing a 47 tapered kickstand B6 that still had its original sales receipt, and it was dated sold on March 26th 1948

It is said that the tapered kickstand was strictly a 46 feature.

So from the time it was actually manufactured to when it was sold, you're talking somewhere around two years.

Back