When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Spitfire Tires

-

Overhauler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Went to an auction a couple weeks ago and bought 2 big boxes of nos tires of all sizes and a set of 26" wheels with blacked out new departure hubs with a nice set of Schwinn Spitfire 26 x 1.75 tires .......... the rims look like the ones on my 36 lincoln .............. when were the spitfire tires used and on what models ........i have a 56 and a 60 spitfire with original tires and they are not spitfires ?

Last edited:
Spitfire Tires

Schwinn made those tires for other make bikes, hence the 1.75" designation and not 1-3/4" They WILL NOT FIT an S-7 rim.

Pat

Schwinn made those tires for other make bikes, hence the 1.75" designation and not 1-3/4" They WILL NOT FIT an S-7 rim.

Pat

yeah i must look like a dummy now for not realizing the 1.75 is for the hook bead rim only non schwinn rim , i was so zoned in on the SPITFIRE :o
so did schwinn have these tires built or did schwinn actually build them ?
also did they build a 1-3/4 spitfire tire ?
and i am assuming that these were produced mid 50's - 60's ?
also how many Higgin owners whould want schwinn spitfire tires on their ride ? ;)
i guess they might be a hard sale ?

I'm looking for Typhoon 26" whitewalls

Any of those in that box??

Let me know, Thanks!!!

yeah i must look like a dummy now for not realizing the 1.75 is for the hook bead rim only non schwinn rim , i was so zoned in on the SPITFIRE :o
so did schwinn have these tires built or did schwinn actually build them ?
also did they build a 1-3/4 spitfire tire ?
and i am assuming that these were produced mid 50's - 60's ?
also how many Higgin owners whould want schwinn spitfire tires on their ride ? ;)
i guess they might be a hard sale ?

Schwinn contracted with Goodyear,Carlisle and US Rubber (Uniroyal). I found a chart to tell the date of manufacture. I really doubt they offered 2 different types of tires with the same name but you never know.

Back