When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Spitfire Year?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oldtype2

On Training Wheels
Hello, I'm new here and I have just recently started the vintage bicycle hobby. I currently in the process of cleaning up my Dad's Schwinn Spitfire, he got this bike for Christmas when he was 11 years old.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the year of this bike and was wondering if someone could help out. The serial number is stamped on the bottom bracket and is B29205. It does not have a kickstand tube welded to the frame. Just has a kickstand bolted on. Also the chain guard is clamped to the frame instead of screwed to a bracket but has a screw hole on the frame by the rear wheel. I don't have a Schwinn chain guard for it, it has what looks like a aftermarket chrome chain guard.

I do have a lot of pictures if that would be of any help.

Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Joe

Pictures would help vastly but all signs point to that being prewar and an exact year can be estimated with a picture. The Spitfire model didn't start until about 1950 but I do believe there was a Spitfire headbadge in the 30s and early 40s. Pictures would also help nail down what model it was because searching Schwinn Spitfire will give you all '50s bikes.. whereas if you look up DX, Model C, Autocycle, B-6, you may see something that closer resembles your bike..

Sounds like a nice bike with a known history--not much more you can ask for! Welcome and enjoy.

Thanks so much for the info! I just uploaded all the pictures I have of my Dads bike. Not sure if you can view them from my profile. Let me know if I need to post them to the forum.

Thanks again!

I would say based on the serial that it's a late 47, or early 48 due to S2 wheels not being used until 1948. Thats my lucky guess.

Thanks for the info. I found some info online that says the kickstand tubes were welded on starting in 1946, I could be wrong. This bike does not have the kickstand tube, it has a separate kickstand bolted on.

The Spitfire line (or the 'Competitive Price' line as they were vaguely called in trade lit before the Spitfire name was used) did not come with the welded on kickstand tube. The bolt-on kickstand was one way of shaving some money off the price of the bike.
Cheers, Geoff

thats great you have your dads old bike. and i love the pic of it under the xmas tree!

enjoy it, it will last a long time after your done with it.

badge

Now does it have the Spitfire propeller badge or the Spitfire just words instead of Schwinn badge?
I believe the propeller is the older. In fact I've see a prewar girls with and original brass Spitfire propeller badge.

What year was it when your foather was 11 years old at Christmas time? That might help narrow it down, assuming your grandparents don't give used bicycles as Chrictmas presents.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341026415.794854.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341026573.078698.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341026596.626895.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341026694.328172.jpg
just finished cleaning it up today, pretty happy with the results. I thinks it's a 1946. Must have been a used bike when he got it, it was the Christmas of 1951. Thanks for all the response.

Back