When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn springer question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jay81

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Maybe a dumb question but I've tried searching and couldn't find the answer.

Working on the 1950 Schwinn Phantom project and took springer fork apart for cleaning and to replace the rubber piece.

Is this correct how I found it, or is this supposed to be attached to the yoke like I've seen some on eBay?
Not sure if someone had it apart and put it back together incorrectly or if some were assembled differently from the factory? I have a feeling this is not correct, but want to make sure before I mess with it.

Sorry, i missunderstood the problem. Others below have it answered properly.

Last edited:
Maybe a dumb question but I've tried searching and couldn't find the answer.

Working on the 1950 Schwinn Phantom project and took springer fork apart for cleaning and to replace the rubber piece.

Is this correct how I found it, or is this supposed to be attached to the yoke like I've seen some on eBay?
Not sure if someone had it apart and put it back together incorrectly or if some were assembled differently from the factory? I have a feeling this is not correct, but want to make sure before I mess with it.

View attachment 1743458

It doesn't look right to me, but I am no expert on the 50's era bikes. Check the parts list in an old dealer parts catalog to see if that is supposed to be in the spring?

Definitely not correct. It’s supposed to attach the spring to the yoke.

View attachment 1743482

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Is it pretty straightforward, like I just need to take it apart and reassemble in the correct order? I mean it looks pretty straightforward but I've never messed with one before.
I should have some wrenches thin enough to fit through the spring, so that part shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Is it pretty straightforward, like I just need to take it apart and reassemble in the correct order? I mean it looks pretty straightforward but I've never messed with one before.
I should have some wrenches thin enough to fit through the spring, so that part shouldn't be an issue.
It’s been my experience that a wrench on that inside nut is not going to happen. I’ve been using needle nosed pliers or a flat blade screw driver wedged between the nut and the spring to get em loose. They’ll usually go together and tighten up with out to much of an issue.

Back