When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Sprint freewheel removal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
At this point with the wheel torn down his options are limited. The hub is an expander brake so messing that up is not an option. I'd get a #8 extractor and an impact wrench and go at it like a crazy monkey in a cage.
I did not know it was an expander hub.

You do realize the extractor "only works" after you have removed the axle set. We had one in the shop for "worse case examples". We had to use a cut off wheel to remove the "starter end" of the extractor. That allowed the extractor to fit down into the freewheel body far enough to contact the extractor taper without hitting the hub cup. The exactor is a crude way to remove it, IMO.

I would just respoke the 18 rightside spokes of the wheel, put the freewheel body into a vise, and turn the rim counter clockwise to remove the body. The only hang up would be "if the spokes were already cut". It will unscrew, I have not seen one yet to not come off after you can apply a good hold on it. It takes much more torque to loosen than you can apply from a 10" Cresent Wrench. I would never use an impact wrench for this job.

I'm a (retired) aircooled Volkswagen racing guy (19 years drag racing them with my son). We never used an impact to tighten or loosen the gland bolt holding the flywheel. We used a 36 mm socket and a custom welded four foot long breaker pipe to apply the massive torque to secure the flywheel. A 1/2" impact could only apply about one half the torque required.

John

This freewheel can’t be reassembled?
Yes, this freewheel can absolutely be taken apart and reassembled. There are just some folks that have doubt in others attention to detail and ability to perform complicated mechanical tasks. If there is damage to the freewheel, that's another story. Same with missing/lost parts.
The loose spoke part I did not see, but reinstall the 9 spokes that take the torque load on the right side flange required to turn the freewheel CCW....and then you're set to remove. If you clipped the spokes, you're probably screwed. I can be quite a bit more determined to right a wrong that I have made though and would find a way to save the hub. Never say never attitude.

Yes, this freewheel can absolutely be taken apart and reassembled. There are just some folks that have doubt in others attention to detail and ability to perform complicated mechanical tasks. If there is damage to the freewheel, that's another story. Same with missing/lost parts.
The loose spoke part I did not see, but reinstall the 9 spokes that take the torque load on the right side flange required to turn the freewheel CCW....and then you're set to remove. If you clipped the spokes, you're probably screwed. I can be quite a bit more determined to right a wrong that I have made though and would find a way to save the hub. Never say never attitude.
That’s where I’m at. I’ll make it happen😁

I removed the wheel via the spoke nipples so I will lace in the wheel again. I think I remember pretty well how the freewheel was put together, but I may have a few questions when it comes time. It was rusty and needed “reblacked” anyways(with a blackening acid to give it the black look they had stock)

That’s where I’m at. I’ll make it happen😁
Seeing how this is a restoration, I really wonder if that freewheel is the correct one for that bike. I can’t believe Schwinn was still using that two prong free wheel in 1967. Is the rear derailer branded sprint?

Seeing how this is a restoration, I really wonder if that freewheel is the correct one for that bike. I can’t believe Schwinn was still using that two prong free wheel in 1967. Is the rear derailer branded sprint?
I’ll check when I get home, I’m not sure but I don’t think so.

I’ll check when I get home, I’m not sure but I don’t think so.
It would be a shame spending all that time and whatever on the freewheel and it’s not the correct one for the bike. Hopefully you have the bike dated correctly, A 1968 model could have a late 1967 serial number.

It would be a shame spending all that time and whatever on the freewheel and it’s not the correct one for the bike. Hopefully you have the bike dated correctly, A 1968 model could have a late 1967 serial number.

A91A7C01-C267-4857-BD75-2C62211CF362.jpeg

I just went thru the 1967 spec sheets on the geared bikes and guess what. The Deluxe Twinn has a different part number for the freewheel than the all the other geared models! So I have no idea what brand that other part number is. Here's the numbers.
Factory # 3825
I.B.M. # 27 205

I still can’t seem to find the tool. Can someone link me to it? Or does someone have a freewheel they would sell me? Or both?

Back