When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Sprint Handlebar Stems

-

juvela

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
-----

do any of the Schwinn experts know the manufacturer(s) for Schwinn Sprint marked handlebar stems as seen on some lightweight models?

here is a 1960's era example in steel -

1660334593984.png

there were also alloy models -

1660334836615.png

thank you for any information 😉

-----

This Pivo 75 (France) stem bears more than a passing resemblance to the alloy unit above. Schwinn used a lot of French components throughout the 60's and 70's. Sorry that I cannot offer any insight beyond that. That steel Sprint stem is sweet!

Last edited:
I have been thinking that Schwinn may have made the steel Sprint stem. But then I said no way, they were actually doing less during this time and outsourcing parts that they had been making during the prewar and post war years. Those metal Sprint stems were only used in 1964, and I don't think those even made it to the end of the 64 production before their Pivo looking stem hit the streets. The one with the Sprint name was first seen on the 1966 models. I built up a clone of my childhood 64 Varsity and it had the metal Sprint stem in the short version, there were two sizes made. The one I ended up using on my clone came from @Eric Amlie and this was supposedly used on some of the 64 models. Maybe Eric has some insight on the manufacturers.

Last edited:
I have no further info, but would agree with DrRumack80 that the alloy stem probably came from Pivo.
When Varsities started hitting my neighborhood in mid '64 the switch to the alloy stem had already been made. I've never seen one of the steel stems in person.
There is also a variation in the alloy stems. Notice the "crescent moon" shaped indentation near the rear of GTs58's stem. Many of the stems do not have that.

-----

thanks very much for all the responses; greatly appreciated 😉

1660924671827.png

the nut on the ALGI binder worn by the above stem may be mounted backwards

if one were to remove it and look at the other side it may exhibit a knife edge around the perimeter. here is a closeup of a PIVO stem with a correctly fitted ALGI binder nut -

1660929323412.png

ALGI binder nuts have a smooth machined appearing face on one side which is intended to butt up against a flat washer. the opposite side is concave as a weight/material saving measure. this gives it a sharp perimeter. the overall shape of the nut is one of a false acorn which often encourages mechanics to mount it backwards.

curious if anyone knows the manufacturer for the binder seen in the image of the Sprint steel stem posted above. have seen the lightning(?) symbol also on the heads of seat binders.

1660926805740.png

thank you again 😉

-----

Back