When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Stainless 26” S-6 Rims

-
Both his her rear rim laced to sturmey archer 3-speed stamped 48 date code.

His:
View attachment 1640469

Her:
View attachment 1640470

His front rim laced to unmarked hub with black center metal band. Is Schwinn hub?
View attachment 1640477

Her front rim to Schwinn scripted hub:
View attachment 1640479

Side note: not sure purpose of metal (clipped on?) bands front hubs are.
I think those clips were only used on the "Continental" aluminum hubs, the standard steel hubs don't have them, I'm guessing because they used grease instead of oil. And both hubs look like original Schwinn items, no idea why one isn't marked.
Your unmarked rims may be early chrome S-6's, @SirMike1983 said in another thread he thinks the early S-6's weren't marked at all. But I've seen chrome S-6's from the early '70's that weren't marked either, and by then the tooling was worn down enough that it didn't leave the crisp knurls seen on the earlier rims. And like @GTs58 says, it looks like the form on one may be slightly more rounded, but I can't tell for sure, that valve stem nut may be throwing me off. If the tires are all Schwinn's 597 bead seat diameter and the rims are all tubular then they're all most likely S-6's. The only other 597 mm rims I've seen are Dunlop and they were clearly marked and the 599 rims I've seen have all been single wall. But these lightweights can still surprise me, so that's just my best guess.

Last edited:
My thought is that both stainless rims were on one of the bikes originally.. Probably the men’s.. At some point the the tires were replaced on both bikes at the same time and the front rim’s were accidentally swapped..

I have seen the Stainless S-6 on early Continentals and My Superior Tourist had a set. Was told years ago they were dropped because they can crack and also they are a bear to get straight once damaged.

They are a pain to straighten. I have a set that I need to put to the rim jack because the rear has a flat spot.

My best guess is they were offered for a very short period in the late '40's. Most of the bikes that have these are 1948 or 1949 from what I've seen, but I've yet to see any literature. For whatever reason, Schwinn didn't advertise these rims. There are a few stainless S-2's also, but good luck finding any!
Yeah, there's a set of the SS S-2s on DOND right now....and since its been brought up, when I get home from work I'll have to find the catalogs that I've seen them offered in. Was thinking I have a Louisville Cycle catalog they were listed in, as stainless spare hoops laced to whatever you wanted in S-2 or S-6. Must have been before middleweight because I don't remember the S-7 listed there. Being a department store, they may have advertised old stock too though.

I have seen the Stainless S-6 on early Continentals and My Superior Tourist had a set. Was told years ago they were dropped because they can crack and also they are a bear to get straight once damaged.
That sounds right. I've got a stainless front fender for a Traveler and the metal split where they formed the "fin" on front, split along the crease clean as a whistle.

Yeah, there's a set of the SS S-2s on DOND right now....and since its been brought up, when I get home from work I'll have to find the catalogs that I've seen them offered in. Was thinking I have a Louisville Cycle catalog they were listed in, as stainless spare hoops laced to whatever you wanted in S-2 or S-6. Must have been before middleweight because I don't remember the S-7 listed there. Being a department store, they may have advertised old stock too though.
If you've got literature on these, I would love to see it, that's the first I've even heard of.

Very interesting! Good info! Both hubs are aluminum, non-magneted. Rims are 597. A big clue no chrome flaking on the rims. But flaking on brakes, handlebar, etc. The fenders probly stainless steel too, no flaking.
Here more pics:

The loose wheel is schwinn stainless s6 stamped. When I look closer, stamped and unstamped rims look identical outside and inside.

Given the absence of chrome flaking in context and rims look identical, I'm leaning towards nonstamped rims are stainless s6.

Perhaps ppl have nonstamped stainless steel Schwinn s6 without realizing it.

Very interesting! Good info! Both hubs are aluminum, non-magneted. Rims are 597. A big clue no chrome flaking on the rims. But flaking on brakes, handlebar, etc. The fenders probly stainless steel too, no flaking.
Here more pics:
View attachment 1641332

View attachment 1641333

View attachment 1641334

View attachment 1641335

The loose wheel is schwinn stainless s6 stamped. When I look closer, stamped and unstamped rims look identical outside and inside.

Given the absence of chrome flaking in context and rims look identical, I'm leaning towards nonstamped rims are stainless s6.

Perhaps ppl have nonstamped stainless steel Schwinn s6 without realizing it.
I believe you're right about the fenders, they're also stainless. And I've read that some of the early chrome S-2's weren't stamped, so it's not a stretch to imagine some stainless rims were made before they started stamping them. In any case your rims sure look the same.
Is the un-marked rim laced to the un-marked hub, both on the men's front wheel? That's interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Correct, those fenders are also stainless. The profile is also notably different from the "shark blade" type. Those fenders are much more difficult to find if they are missing from a bike.

Back