When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Stingray Boys Fork vs Fair Lady Fork Size Difference?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rayray

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've been on the hunt for a 1976 boys stingray Fork and I've been striking out for months now. I've came across one from a Fair Lady but to my understanding, they tube is taller than the boys stingray.

Q #1 - Is it worth cutting to fit stingray?
Q #2 - How much do I need to cut ignorer for it to fit stingray properly?
Q #3 - Is rethreading involved? And will the tube hardware fit properly?

Last edited:
#1 Yes if you want correct dated parts
#2 The length of a boys Stingray is 5 3/8 inches from the shoulder where bearing race sits to top of tube.
#3 Yes,and yes if properly done. The key way will have to be lengthened as well

I thought Schwinn standardized all the parts after the war? Same size boys & girls use the same parts and head tubes were also the same size. There was a steerer tube change for 1966 and the stems diameter changed along with the headset's top nut ID.

I thought Schwinn standardized all the parts after the war? Same size boys & girls use the same parts and head tubes were also the same size. There was a steerer tube change for 1966 and the stems diameter changed along with the headset's top nut ID.
The middleweights had same size Fairlady and Stingray were different

Interesting.
I think on the Stingray the head tube was just too short to accept the double bar of the girls bike. It would have made the 2 tubes only an inch or so apart and probably was not as strong as longer head tube and didn't look as pleasing to the eye.

Reactions: mrg
No the junior 20 inch has same forks as Stingray the only difference between reg and Jr. frame is it is 1 inch shorter seat tube and 2 inches in the rear seat stays makes a slightly smaller frame. The Jr is the same size as the early '631/2 and early '64 Stingray mid '64 they made it longer.

interesting. And the junior forks are completely different as well?

It appears that the head tubes varied on the 20" models so the fork tubes will vary. I've never really paid any attention to these smaller models.

Back