When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Stingray Boys Fork vs Fair Lady Fork Size Difference?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
No the junior 20 inch has same forks as Stingray the only difference between reg and Jr. frame is it is 1 inch shorter seat tube and 2 inches in the rear seat stays makes a slightly smaller frame. The Jr is the same size as the early '631/2 and early '64 Stingray mid '64 they made it longer.
okay, so that is really good to know as well

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain that not only the steer tube is different and the fork itself is also longer on a girls.

The other thing to be aware of when cutting down a girl's Sting Ray fork (Fair Lady) is that the ID of the steer tube is tapered towards the bottom (tubing wall gets thicker, ID gets smaller). Once you cut the steer tube down to match the boy's length, the handlebar stem doesn't fit all the way down.... it will sit a little higher.

The other thing to be aware of when cutting down a girl's Sting Ray fork (Fair Lady) is that the ID of the steer tube is tapered towards the bottom (tubing wall gets thicker, ID gets smaller). Once you cut the steer tube down to match the boy's length, the handlebar stem doesn't fit all the way down.... it will sit a little higher.
Thank you for that good to know.

Does that apply to both early & late ( thin & thick wall ) girls StingRay forks?, I need to cut down a 64 thin wall.

Does that apply to both early & late ( thin & thick wall ) girls StingRay forks?, I need to cut down a 64 thin wall.
Not sure on the pre-66 steer tubes. The one I cut down was 70s-ish. I was picky (OCD, lol?) about the stem sitting high so I used a 13/16" drill bit to give it a little more depth.

Not sure on the pre-66 steer tubes. The one I cut down was 70s-ish. I was picky (OCD, lol?) about the stem sitting high so I used a 13/16" drill bit to give it a little more depth.
How much higher did the stem sit than its normal height?

Back