When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Schwinn StingRay" Knobby

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Keep in mind that Schwinn sold aftermarket repair parts. A 20x2.125 Schwinn BSW Knobby was sold for many years as a replacement part at any Schwinn dealership. I have a 20x2.125 WSW Schwinn Knobby on the front wheel of my Cycle Truck. I don't see this as a Holy Grail part. If your only buying because of the product date code that's a different issue and that's fine.

Goodyear, B.F. Goodrich, Uniroyal, and Carlisle all made rubber products for Schwinn over different periods. One by one, they all stopped manufacturing any bicycle rubber. The Sting Ray sales were so popular I think Schwinn would take anything from any vendor that could manufacture to get more units produced. Persons seats were hard to get initially. Having enough Schwinn tire molds was the problem, since we were selling a large volume of a tire size that traditionally did not sell that well in the past. In general, all of the U.S. rubber vendors had serious quality issues. The same short supply thing happened when the 20" slick's came out, and again when Carlisle and Goodyear began making their 20" motocross tires.

As a sales representative, I was the guy that went through the dealers return boxes each month and wrote credits for any warranty parts. Many inner tubes were replaced before the new bicycles even hit the dealership showrooms. Valve stem vulcanizing was a huge issue for all the U. S. rubber manufacturers. It was not until the early 1980's that more Schwinn rubber started to come from Off Shore and the rubber quality was much improved. We all like to think that U.S. production is better, but the import companies made the best tires and tubes for the bicycle and motorcycle industries.

John
Cool historical account, makes sense with take off of these early Stingrays - way more demand than supply, thanks for sharing.

And yes, this tire that posted for sale last evening has it's value because it's date coded and the correct tire for the late 63 and full year 64 Stingray, they are hard to find 4Q63 and it's in great shape. Totally agree that a tire looking similar on your Cycle Truck, perhaps the Goodyear Studded, isn't on the same playing field. It'll work but for the hard core collector, it's a pass or valued at a fraction of this one.

Schwinn Stingray knobby was first issued 4Q63 and carried through 64 on the Stingray. Schwinn used Goodyear and other manufactures. The tire just listed for sale is Goodyear with the 3 circle date codes and is dated 4Q63, not 62, she admitted getting that wrong.

She has a very desirable tire there for sale albeit price is high and it's in excellent condition, not NOS.
My K3 has a knobby Stingray Rear tire dated 4Q63 NOS mint. I think they came out in late 1963.

Keep in mind that Schwinn sold aftermarket repair parts. A 20x2.125 Schwinn BSW Knobby was sold for many years as a replacement part at any Schwinn dealership. I have a 20x2.125 WSW Schwinn Knobby on the front wheel of my Cycle Truck. I don't see this as a Holy Grail part. If your only buying because of the product date code that's a different issue and that's fine.

Goodyear, B.F. Goodrich, Uniroyal, and Carlisle all made rubber products for Schwinn over different periods. One by one, they all stopped manufacturing any bicycle rubber. The Sting Ray sales were so popular I think Schwinn would take anything from any vendor that could manufacture to get more units produced. Persons seats were hard to get initially. Having enough Schwinn tire molds was the problem, since we were selling a large volume of a tire size that traditionally did not sell that well in the past. In general, all of the U.S. rubber vendors had serious quality issues. The same short supply thing happened when the 20" slick's came out, and again when Carlisle and Goodyear began making their 20" motocross tires.

As a sales representative, I was the guy that went through the dealers return boxes each month and wrote credits for any warranty parts. Many inner tubes were replaced before the new bicycles even hit the dealership showrooms. Valve stem vulcanizing was a huge issue for all the U. S. rubber manufacturers. It was not until the early 1980's that more Schwinn rubber started to come from Off Shore and the rubber quality was much improved. We all like to think that U.S. production is better, but the import companies made the best tires and tubes for the bicycle and motorcycle industries.

John

Is this John Weider? If so Welcome to the cabe! If not ...well of course welcome
to the Cabe. John should provide massive insight on a variety of topics I'm sure!

John
I have a Schwinn 20x2.125 Stingray knobby that has no date code, but it does say Made in USA..The side wall has some separation fron the casing so I can see where the quality issues were coming from..

It’s been mentioned many times over the decades that this “New Schwinn Stingray” was a gamble according to some of the executives at Schwinn.
Some thought it would not fly when released in early 1963. Little did they know.
There was no need in ‘63 to jump the gun by having a rubber company develop molds that say Schwinn Sting-Ray on the side wall.
As mentioned above there were several tire manufacturers that offered a 20 x 2.125 knobby, so that is what Schwinn elected to use on the rear of this ‘experimental’ bicycle.
Towards the end of 1963 Schwinn now knew they had a very popular bicycle and obviously needed to expand everything for the upcoming 1964 model year including that now famous rear knobby.

Both my 1963 Stingrays have their born with Goodyear knobby tires on the rear.
Personally I love these old Goodyear tires and the sidewall graphics.

Years ago I had in my inventory wrapped pairs of NOS Goodyear 20 x 2.125 knobby tires, plus pairs of the front 20 x 1 3/4 Westwind tires.
These tires were of the 1967 vintage.
Sorry about the poor quality of these NOS tires as they are photos off my old files.

C61EE3E2-F193-47BA-92C4-6A1C148BDB85.jpeg

69BE6586-ADE9-4A35-8E3B-EB8713A78A83.jpeg

54FA8EE0-D6C6-4D8D-A77B-B4AF7BE1BC31.jpeg

E010A0D9-64D2-4BFD-8B51-55980E0C0723.jpeg

E7F4E992-16E3-4003-AF45-6F1CABB1B3FD.jpeg

D2A2C425-FEF8-40CD-A16E-32618151FD26.jpeg

19FF704C-70DF-41A6-9AAA-A655D3A6D25A.jpeg

74DF47F4-0414-41B5-B685-78BB91E01A17.jpeg

943C94AC-87C9-40F6-AB27-0E60F8574EEB.jpeg

B1E18422-5403-4B4B-B76F-BD0F05C5C17B.jpeg

5FFB156D-5A01-4747-8DE0-1A202CB1FFBC.jpeg

ADDBCD55-889F-445C-B0E3-00AFAE88FCAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this John Weider? If so Welcome to the cabe! If not ...well of course welcome
to the Cabe. John should provide massive insight on a variety of topics I'm sure!
BobCycles, No, Different John.

John Palmer here. I have worked on both the dealer side, and also on the wholesale side, of the Bicycle Industry. Started out selling for United Import/Cycles Peugeot. Went to work for Schwinn Sales West in 1978. Continued with Schwinn until after Scotts Sport Group took control and relocated it to Boulder 1993.

I'm just an opinionated old sales guy. LOL, Thanks for your welcome anyway.

John

Back