When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Stingray Mini Scrambler - what should i do with this?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pizz

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Got my old Scrambler from my grandma's barn. its pretty rusty. seat is in good condition. it's pretty dirty right now, need to clean it up to figure out whats rust and whats dirt. Just wondering what i should do to save it. And if you can tell me the year that would be appreciated thanks.
iylua9-1.jpg

s664hl-1.jpg

2d8f2v6-1.jpg

w17guu-1.jpg

That's great that you are saving your old bike. from the pictures it looks like the rust has eaten away at almost all of the chrome and the paint looks mostly gone to but if its not just clean the paint up. Depending on your budget, I would definitely redo all the chrome if its is gone and not salvageable, and possibly repaint depending on condition. However, I would leave the seat and chain guard alone as they look in great shape.

That's great that you are saving your old bike. from the pictures it looks like the rust has eaten away at almost all of the chrome and the paint looks mostly gone to but if its not just clean the paint up. Depending on your budget, I would definitely redo all the chrome if its is gone and not salvageable, and possibly repaint depending on condition. However, I would leave the seat and chain guard alone as they look in great shape.

THANKS for your response sfhschwinn! theres not that much chrome on it, just the cranks and the seat holder. think the fender and handlebars were black. Oh and my wheels are fried!
here's a pic i found on the net.
i know that seat and grips arnt original.
schwinn5.png

I'll clean mine up and take another pic.

Last edited:
1976. #000 steel wool and spit will clean up what's left of the chrome. The hoops might come back decently. The headset cups are likely best just replaced. Schwinn used the same cups for all their Chicago-made bikes, so you don't have to find ones from another '76 Mini Scrambler. Decent used vintage ones are common. Tires are going to be a special Schwinn size to fit S-7 rims. 1.75" won't work. 1 3/4" will. Tubes will be standard.
Cheers, Geoff

Thanks Geoff! Yea, the tires are gonna be an issue...one of the spokes is broke off and just dangling also..
thanks guys
-John

THANKS for your response sfhschwinn! theres not that much chrome on it, just the cranks and the seat holder. think the fender and handlebars were black. Oh and my wheels are fried!
here's a pic i found on the net.
i know that seat and grips arnt original.
View attachment 182690

I'll clean mine up and take another pic.
I remember the 'Schwinn' seat as being original

Back