When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Stingray Pixie help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Vintagedad

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_4286.JPG
IMG_4287.JPG
IMG_4288.JPG
IMG_4289.JPG
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and am looking for some knowledge. I bought this Stingray Pixie for 20 dollars and it is in very rough shape. I could not pass on it for 20 dollars though! I stripped most of it down today and am in the process of removing as much rust from as many parts as possible. I've been unable to locate any serial numbers on it anywhere though which is making it difficult to date. My best guess at this point is late 60s to early 70s. The previous owner got it from his great aunt when she passed and it just sat around. I picked it up with the hope of fixing it up for my youngest daughter who is too young to ride it yet, so I have plenty of time to work on it. I know I could probably buy one for less then ill spend fixing this one but that's no fun. Plus it means more to me to build it for my child. Anyone have any ideas on the date? Any specific places to look for other numbers on any of its parts to help date it?

Not sure if or when they quit stamping the forks, but there may be a date on the inside of the left fork leg just about the axle slot. Usually two or three pretty small digits for the month and the last digit of the year. Example, 6-4 would be June 1964.

Looking at the bike I would definitely remove the crank, the bearings need to be cleaned, checked and greased. That probably hasn't been serviced since it was new.

Not sure if or when they quit stamping the forks, but there may be a date on the inside of the left fork leg just about the axle slot. Usually two or three pretty small digits for the month and the last digit of the year. Example, 6-4 would be June 1964.

Great, there is a number there I believe. I noticed it while stripping the parts earlier. I'll double check that area to get the exact number and post it when I get home this morning. I'm on night shift tonight so I'm not at the house right now.

Looking at the bike I would definitely remove the crank, the bearings need to be cleaned, checked and greased. That probably hasn't been serviced since it was new.

I'll do that, I appreciate the advice. I certainly want to make sure everything is right on it since it's for my child.

Unless you are really attached to this bike - I would suggest thinking about finding another one in a bit better shape before you start. The wheel issues on your bike are going to be a bit daunting plus a good seat, needed OA bath, etc. Although not beyond the point of saving, a lot depends on getting rusty parts loose without damaging them and your tool kit & expertise.

You can still fix up a bike for your child - but the expense and hassle of bringing this one back to life may not be a lot of fun. Bikes that are not so far gone are a lot more fun to resurrect, are easier on the wallet, and you get more shine...

Not trying to be a a downer, really respect you for the intent and best wishes on your project regardless. I suggest that if you go with this bike, take your time and research various repair/restoration threads on here to help you with the clean-up techniques and materials that will help. This will help with safely removing your handlebar stem, reflector, grips, pedals as they can be easily ruined if you rush removing parts in anticipation of starting the cleaning process.

I would use the following key words in any search string.

PB Blaster
Citric acid
Evapo-Rust
0000 steel wool
brass brushes
Oxalic acid bath
Clear mineral spirits
Left hand threads on left pedal

There are a lot of good little bikes down your way - I first started in the bicycle business in the Low Country back in the '70s...:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Unless you are really attached to this bike - I would suggest thinking about finding another one in a bit better shape before you start. The wheel issues on your bike are going to be a bit daunting plus a good seat, needed OA bath, etc. Although not beyond the point of saving, a lot depends on getting rusty parts loose without damaging them and your tool kit & expertise.

You can still fix up a bike for your child - but the expense and hassle of bringing this one back to life may not be a lot of fun. Bikes that are not so far gone are a lot more fun to resurrect, are easier on the wallet, and you get more shine...

Not trying to be a a downer, really respect you for the intent and best wishes on your project regardless. I suggest that if you go with this bike, take your time and research various repair/restoration threads on here to help you with the clean-up techniques and materials that will help. This will help with safely removing your handlebar stem, reflector, grips, pedals as they can be easily ruined if you rush removing parts in anticipation of starting the cleaning process.

I would use the following key words in any search string.

PB Blaster
Citric acid
Evapo-Rust
0000 steel wool
brass brushes
Oxalic acid bath
Clear mineral spirits
Left hand threads on left pedal

There are a lot of good little bikes down your way - I first started in the bicycle business in the Low Country back in the '70s...:sunglasses:

I appreciate the advice. I'm not overly attached to it but I do enjoy a challenge . I don't mind if it costs me a little more. The wheels and seat are going to be a problem, especially if I want an original seat. I will check out those searches you sent me, those sound like some good research ideas!

That's cool that you got your start in the low country! That's where I am located.

IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4292.JPG

Looks like 046 to me, I'm guessing that's April of 1966?

Back