When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Stingray single speed frame and a 5 speed rim.

-

Mikey

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi, Does anyone know if a 5 speed rim will fit on a single speed Schwinn Stingray frame?? Thanks for the help!!

NO, the drop outs are wider on the 5spd frames. You can spread them youself to make the 5spd wheel fit, but the brake bridge is wider on the 5spd frames and the single speed bridge won't accept a brake for the 5spd.

Thank You! I noticed that the rear fender bracket on the single speed frame is different...Okay, I guess I could make it a 3 speed with a coaster brake?? Or just make it a single speed again.... All I have is the frame, fenders, chain, crank & pedal arms. I need to get rims so I thought that I would give it more than 1 speed if possible???........Thanks for your Help, I'm Learning!!!

I just built a 3 speed coaster Stingray using an 80s Shimano hub. you have to pull the frame rails apart just a little, but its easy.

AStingray2-1.jpg

2007 Walmart Black Stingray

Anything is possible to any Stingray frame...I made my mine into a "disk" 5 speed model using a NOS {1978} Shimano SE hub with a NOS Schwinn 5 cluster cog and a NOS Schwinn GT120 derailuer..The shifter is a NOS Suntour as used on the late Stingrays/Huricanes models in that period...NOS S2/S7 wheels..:cool:

Attachments

• schwinn sales 317.jpg
    schwinn sales 317.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 81
Brake Bracket

Caliper brake bracket can be mounted on coaster brake frames to accept the weinman caliper brake, {1080} BS 3.6 schwinn approved caliper...Possibly, ask around for it here, someone might have that or look in Ebay..Here what is looks like...If you cannot find one listed right now on ebay check for past completed auctions under {advance}...This photo is where i found this...

140.jpg

Thank You! I noticed that the rear fender bracket on the single speed frame is different...Okay, I guess I could make it a 3 speed with a coaster brake?? Or just make it a single speed again.... All I have is the frame, fenders, chain, crank & pedal arms. I need to get rims so I thought that I would give it more than 1 speed if possible???........Thanks for your Help, I'm Learning!!!

Thanks for everyone's input!! That a lot of info. to chew on!! I'm not sure what I will do yet but I keep everyone posted!! Thanks Again!!

Welcome

Always glad to help...Make something special that you like...Lots of endless options when it comes to bikes..That walmart bike is the only "aftermarket" bike i have in my collection other then the 1998-1999 re-edition coaster krates..Those i left as is..They are fun to ride around...Keep us posted on how yours turns out...I'm 47 now and still act like a kid lol...Peace..:cool:

Thanks for everyone's input!! That a lot of info. to chew on!! I'm not sure what I will do yet but I keep everyone posted!! Thanks Again!!

Why a shimano hub, is it because it's more narrow? Do you think an original schwinn 5 speed rear hub will fit?

Back