When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Subrurban 5 speed number of chain links

-

Bevin

Look Ma, No Hands!
I removed the old siezed chain from my 1972 5-speed Suburban and put it in the recycle bin without counting the number of links. Does anyone know the correct number?

I don't know the number of links, but it's easy to measure on the bike. On a typical new chain, count back four pins (on the side without the started pin) and drive it to shorten the chain.

To measure it on-bike, string up the chain so the loose ends are on the bottom, and draw them together. Put on small cogs, pull so there's some tension on the jockey wheels, mark and drive out a pin. Put chain together and test on stand. Put it into the big cogs to make sure you've got enough chain. Put in the small cogs to make sure there isn't flop in chain.

Cheers, Geoff

Thanks for the info - its up and running. I had a problem with the free wheel but it turned out to be lack of lubrication. I'm going to try to post a picture.

Attachments

• schwinn.jpg
    schwinn.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 57
Back