When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Super Deluxe Stingray Springer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Callahooney1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Just want to see if any of our fellow Schwinn Stingray Guru's will shed some light on the specifics of the Super Deluxe 20" Springer, such as the years they were used or made, specifics on the head tube sizes- heard some were different, spring used were they the same as the Krates?, markings to identify originals, etc. Secondly, I noticed recently that some Super Deluxe springers listed on Ebay sold from 600 to $900, why? Any comments appreciated.

Pertaining to the Super Deluxe Stingray,

Introduced mid-year 1964 and continued through 1966.

1) It’s shorter than the Krate series Springer.
2) The pivot bolt is chrome as well as its nut. The Krate used a cadmium bolt/nut.
3) The AS bolts are chrome. The Krate used a cadmium S bolt.
4) The first design steer tube (64-65) did not have knurling just above the lower black bearing race.
This smooth tube is shown on my NOS and used early springer below.

This first design had a thin wall steer tube which could be compromised by the early thicker handle bar stem.

This change in 1966 with all the Stingrays.
A revised steer tube had a thicker wall (identified with knurling above the bearing race) that coincided with a new thinner handle bar stem.

I hope I got that right. It’s been years for me on these details.

Chris.

9084C492-AE05-4912-9928-C00514E8F89D.jpeg

48F1B8CF-7CF6-4965-B8AB-A00876C2BCDA.jpeg

513CE79D-13A3-4D52-95EA-67A8B4192448.jpeg

6989F40F-55F2-4B42-9C0C-72051C58B171.jpeg

CF7B28E2-FE76-4346-A7A5-1BE0CD12137B.jpeg

B4992B31-2FA3-4724-AE6A-EB7B22FA9E0E.jpeg

71FAFE39-23BB-465E-9EA3-8ED71A68A2DF.jpeg

HI Guys,

I am new to this space and new to The Cabe. My uncle gave me some old Schwinn parts when I was a teenager, with the intent to build a Schwinn Stingray. COVID has given me some time to revisit this hobby and it has been fun learning so far. I came across an opportunity to buy a 64 stingray with a springer, but the price point makes it hard for me to pull the trigger. The information you guys provided on this chat is really helpful and much appreciated! I plan to bring the info along with me on my trip to view the bike. I was wondering if you had anymore gold nuggets of wisdom to look out for when inspecting this springer for authenticity as I probably will not be able to disassemble for inspection. Thanks!

If you have a chance ask 60's Stuff if you could send him a pic to help you out. Maybe give you a phone number to text a pic for quicker response

Just really compare with the pics in this thread, a big giveaway is the shape of the spring retainer ( if that's the name ) that wraps around front, most repops are shaped different!

Last edited:
Back