When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn terminology

-
B

Brentville

I have a couple questions about the Schwinn speak I see here and elsewhere and don't quite get. What is meant by an S7 rim or an S2 rim etc. And what about the stripes on the rear hubs? What does one red stripe vs. 2 or 3 red stripes mean.

As far as I know, one red stripe always meant a cold beer and 3 red stripes could mean a DWI.

Thanks for the help.

S-7 rims are Schwinn's version of middleweights. They take a 26x1 3/4 tire as opposed to 26x1.75 tire that will fit most balloon rims. S-2 rims are Schwinn's balloon rims for 26x2.125 tires. Bendix single speed hubs have one red band. Bendix two speed hubs have three red, yellow, or blue bands. Red bands are underdrive with internal discs, yellow bands are underdrive with internal shoes, and blue bands are overdrive used mostly on 20" bikes like Stingrays, etc.
Hope this helps,
John

Perfect

That's just the info I was hoping to find, thanks!

Back