When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCHWINN THREADS

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't know why people even talk about those other bikes. Schwinn bikes are best. šŸ™‚

View attachment 1502122

YES they are........

Last edited:
On a side note, I was recently talking to a fellow who dated a girl that lived across the street from the Schwinn plant. He said that during the day, he saw women tossing parts out the factory windows to guys waiting in the parking lot. We could start a forum on "Schwinn stories." Plenty of folks around Chicago are still alive that worked there in the 50's and 60's.

Reminds me of the rat catcher at the mint who threw out dead rats out the window, sewn up (loaded) with gold coins. He would pick them up after his shift. Fool proof idea until some guy's dog shook one. The cop waited behind a pole until the thief retrieved his last one.
We Whizzer guys must use Schwinns because other frames have been known to have the frame pull apart (290 extra lbs. times 25 m.p.h.) or not have enough belly room. The only bike factory I have been to is Schwinn, one of the only good things about Illinois. My childhood was not Schwinn but one kid from an only-one-child family (in our bike gang) had a Phantom. One other weak kid had an English racer (Raleigh?). Whose parents were smartest? American companies didn't change until The Brits made them change? I love each of my bike types and all of you because of what you do. I left conflict with my childhood and drama with . . . . oops have said too much.
Schwinn story: At the end of Schwinns in Chicago my friend was a lawyer for Schwinn and noticed two Whizzers chained to posts. He asked if they were for sale and was told that they belonged to the Schwinn family but he could have them free and they would have a old employee go over them. Many years later, he and his wife rode both on one of our rides and we had to re-fix more things during the 165 miles we traveled. He had a wider rear stand (prototype?) that should have been on all Whizzers. Seeing a woman on a Whizzer is the rarest of experiences.

Last edited:
This is just a thought, but Schwinn was the biggest and the best documented. Some of the '50's lightweights are rare, but for bikes like the Phantom, there are members on here who can probably name all production changes by year and date for the entire run. There are a lot more unknowns with some of the other makes, say Manton and Smith for example, and finding information takes a lot more digging. Of course, there are new people coming into the hobby all the time, but most of their Schwinn questions have already been answered on here somewhere. If they can use Google, they don't need to post.

Back