When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Track Iron

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jgrome

On Training Wheels
Latest project researching lineage for Schwinn track tandem archive I’m compiling. Anyone recall this one in you’re local shop. Acquired from San Diego area but not necessarily from there. Only coppertone one I’ve seen to date. Circa 62’

F5415AA7-0B87-49FD-907A-F196B3054697.jpeg

made for two biggish guys it appears. Normal cranks. not tandem, with double spindle in the rear? is there enough room for 2 x 3/16" chains on the rear drive crank w/o some kind of spacers? is it a "Strada" arm? no "Disney" font, do you think it might have been repainted? looks great! maybe Tim Mountford would know it's orig. owners/riders?

made for two biggish guys it appears. Normal cranks. not tandem, with double spindle in the rear? is there enough room for 2 x 3/16" chains on the rear drive crank w/o some kind of spacers? is it a "Strada" arm? no "Disney" font, do you think it might have been repainted? looks great! maybe Tim Mountford would know it's orig. owners/riders?
That's a great piece!

Tim Montford or Buddy Cambell would know, I'm sure. Schwinn repainted any customer owned Paramount for only $25.00 back in the day as a service to keep the bikes looking good. I saw a very nice mint condition Paramount Track Tandem (around 1990) hanging in the Basement of Vincent's Cyclery (Bakersfield, CA) that was factory painted Terra Cotta and it was beautiful color, not like the production color shade. The Campy Pista cranks are correct I believe. Skip tooth chain was still a Paramount option when I ordered my 1963 P14 bike new. The later Paramount Road tandems used TA cranks with a triple chainwheel, using the inside sprocket for the primary drive. I think the last Jack Disney track Paramount Tandem I saw was still painted white (in mid 1990's). I agree, that's a very tall frame for a tandem, maybe it was for the Best Brothers, Bill and Bob and raced at Northbrook?

John

Paramount Track Tandem's were a total custom item for Schwinn. I'm sure they were offered to the racing community at the time "as a service", not because Schwinn made any money on them. They sponsored, built, and raced them in Pan American, and Olympic games. Schwinn built a couple for each Games, raced them, then the tandems found there way to a local "racing Schwinn Dealer". The dealer looked after the bikes, maintained them, and transported them to the local Velodrome track for rider use. I think Jack Disney kept his own Paramount Track tandem? I remember games tandems in white, silver, or kool (opaque) blue colors. There could have been other colors.

Jack and Bobby Kemp owners of North Hollywood, and Bob Hansing owner of Montrose Bike Shop were two local Southern California Schwinn dealers that looked after the Schwinn tandems raced at Encino in Southern California. I'm sure Schwinn planted some of the other Games Tandems over the years at other Schwinn dealers near their local area velodromes. It was a way of Schwinn's grass roots support for bicycle racing.

The Kemp's were hard core bicycle racers. Not only did they run their Schwinn Dealership and Race at Encino, but they were the United States wholesale importer for Mondia and Allegro bicycles. If you have ever seen a bicycle with a smoked paint job, that was a Swiss made Mondia or Allegro. The bikes were a work of art and sold at the price of a Paramount.

Bob Hansing left his dealership in Montrose to be run by Dennis Hansing his son. Bob went on to run Shimano American. He took his bicycle racing and industry experience and developed the Dura Ace product line, that we all loved.

John

Latest project researching lineage for Schwinn track tandem archive I’m compiling. Anyone recall this one in you’re local shop. Acquired from San Diego area but not necessarily from there. Only coppertone one I’ve seen to date. Circa 62’

View attachment 1749889
It's a beautiful bike and looks like it would have come out of the shipping box.
But they would have raced it with "double" toe straps (usually Binda) twisted into the Campy pedals. That Varsity (Hunt Wilde) handlebar tape would have been replaced with white cloth handlebar tape most likely.

John

Not a Schwinn, although it has some paramount decals and detailing. It's on CL in So. CA. It's a 650B Rene Herse touring tandem that somebody "transformed" into a track tandem.

00z0z_2db21JAyNg1z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Back