When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn traveler age/value?

-

Bikegirl

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Okay most of you know I inherited my grandfather's bicycle accumulation after he passed this bike he started to fix last year he lost the inner spring for the rear wheel but I've seen replacements on Amazon I need to know the age approximate value and where I can find a inner tube to fit it's a Schwinn traveler as you can see in the pictures and that's about all we know about it I do know that the handlebars are engraved sake custom on one side and the other side road champion it also came with a rear view mirror which Grandpa took off saying it would be easier to fix without it on there when the guy brought it he said all the gears were working the only thing wrong with it was the flat rear tire now that I've looked at it though the little threads on the front tire also raveling and the back tire has raveled too so I don't know if they're worth replacing I don't know how much it would cost to replace them basically I need to know the value of the bike now and if I can fix the rear wheel but they're not it's worth it thanks pictures below.
IMG_20220521_111329833.jpg

IMG_20220521_111437721.jpg

IMG_20220521_111546685.jpg

IMG_20220521_111913870.jpg

IMG_20220521_111426109.jpg

First of all, welcome to the forum! Secondly, you get extra points for so many detailed pics! You'd be surprised how many post looking for info, without any pics! In high school, I had a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, and I think it had the same bars. It looks like a higher end model, I'd think it'd be worth a set of tires & tubes. It's really not in the collectible range yet, so it wouldn't be worth any major investment, but would make a great rider, of much greater quality than the Chinese Schwinns sold at Walmart today!

First of all, welcome to the forum! Secondly, you get extra points for so many detailed pics! You'd be surprised how many post looking for info, without any pics! In high school, I had a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, and I think it had the same bars. It looks like a higher end model, I'd think it'd be worth a set of tires & tubes. It's really not in the collectible range yet, so it wouldn't be worth any major investment, but would make a great rider, of much greater quality than the Chinese Schwinns sold at Walmart today!
Thanks I always try for detailed pictures because I believe it's only right to see what is their, I'm looking to sell and need a ball park on weather I should invest in the tires and tubes or sell as is, my cousin told me maybe ten bucks if I'm lucky looked like scrap metal to him..so I'm just trying to get an idea I'm looking to sell on craigslist as FB marketplace is pretty much not working as far as selling bikes goes.

Thanks I always try for detailed pictures because I believe it's only right to see what is their, I'm looking to sell and need a ball park on weather I should invest in the tires and tubes or sell as is, my cousin told me maybe ten bucks if I'm lucky looked like scrap metal to him..so I'm just trying to get an idea I'm looking to sell on craigslist as FB marketplace is pretty much not working as far as selling bikes goes.
Ah, since you're looking to sell it, it could be tough to make anything, as these aren't in demand. Could go between $50 - 100 depending on your local market.

Frame made in Greenville Mississippi (one of Schwinn's factory locations) shipped to Asia for paint and final assembly. The Tru Temper cromo tubes makes that one of the nicer versions of the Traveler.

The damage to the rear dropout really kills any value it had. Scrap value is about $2 here. Worth more if you part it out. Certainly not cost effective to fix up unless it has sentimental value to you.

Ah, since you're looking to sell it, it could be tough to make anything, as these aren't in demand. Could go between $50 - 100 depending on your local market.
Anything is profit it was given to grampa late last fall but the inner tubes he had didn't fit and he mis placed the spring thing for the back wheel. So I'm just trying to get rid of his bike accumulation as I have no use for it this is one of three Schwinn bikes the others are an OCC chopper, and a sidewinder (newer Schwinn) which I can guess the values of more easily people often dropped bikes in the yard or driveway because they knew grampa enjoyed putting the time and effort into them to make them rideable again if possible the last couple year his eyesight (macular degeneration) caused him to only be able to fix the more simple things like breaks tires tubes replacing seats he could no longer see good enough to fix the shifters and the last time he did he paid my cousin $20 to do so for him and I'm still trying to sell the darn thing for the price of cables and paying my cousin aka $30 total but no luck no one wants to pay for them. But thank you for the info.

Frame made in Greenville Mississippi (one of Schwinn's factory locations) shipped to Asia for paint and final assembly. The Tru Temper cromo tubes makes that one of the nicer versions of the Traveler.

The damage to the rear dropout really kills any value it had. Scrap value is about $2 here. Worth more if you part it out. Certainly not cost effective to fix up unless it has sentimental value to you.
What damage can you explain it seems Amazon has those spring axel things for $10 so that doesn't seem like a big deal..or am i wrong? I don't know a lot about the collectors side of things our goal was always ride-able condition as long as everything worked and it looked half way decent it was put out for sale.

The markings, paint color and components match up to a 1989 model if that makes any difference at this time.

Perhaps someone might offer to take it away for free (or any reasonable offer); kind of like the people who dropped-off bicycles for free, but in reverse?

In another post, when you suggested that the bicycles be sold as a whole-lot, it seems that the primary objective is to get rid of the stuff, rather than making profit?

What might incentivize people to even look at the bikes (and parts), might be to try to re-assemble the loose parts into complete bicycles. We understand that it will be difficult in remembering exactly where the right parts were placed. Like a mechanical jigsaw puzzle (or several mixed together), and without a picture of what the finished product should look like.
Reorganizing and just moving parts around may be a daunting task, even if there is plenty of outdoor space to separate stuff.

Seems like among those parts, one might find an interchangeable skewer (spring part) for a quick-release axle on a rear wheel?

Last edited:
Back