When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Typhoon Flat Bar Build 50th Anniversary Edition!

-

RM Special

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello!
I am new to the CABE but wanted to thank all of the people that have made this such a great site with so much valuable information. My father and I have collected many things including bicycles together for the past 30 years. We have quite a few bikes but after spending a lot of time on the CABE, I am a rookie in comparison to what others freely share on this site.

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this but I am in the initial stages of building a Klunker out of a Schwinn Flat bar. It will maintain the original paint (what's left!) but overall it is lacking so many original parts I have decided to build a Klunker out of what remains. I have quite a few plans but am very open to ideas as the pics that other members post are truly outstanding. Plans include a 5 speed hub, different bars and stem, drum brakes front and rear, alloy wheel set, Cycle Pro forks, Brooks saddle, etc.

I will post a few pics of the bike and value any comments. Also, I will post pictures of the progress on this project if others are interested.
Thanks!

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

Welcome to the Cabe! I have had the same idea in my head for some time with one of these frames with continuous mid tubes. Check out the Klunker thread for ideas! You know there is tons of info & help here. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. My friend @Speed King , @birdzgarage & others build some killer era bikes as well as more modern type stuff. It will be cool to see where you take this. Have fun!! ✌️ ✌️

@rustystone2112

Let’s say you were born Jan. 1,1962. Add one year and that's 1963, and you’re one year old. Add 61 years. 1962 + 61 = 2023. You're 61 years old January 1, 2023
Let's say you were married on January 1, 1962. Add a year and that's 1963, your 1 year Anniversary. Add 61 years. 1962 +61= 2023, your 61st Anniversary.

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks for the replies and information you shared within all of the posts that have been made! I got a little excited about making my first post and overlooked sharing the reason behind the title of 50th Anniversary Edition. The local bike shop that I grew up in celebrated 50 years in business this summer. The owner built quite a few klunkers for the locals in the late 70's and early 80's before mountain bikes filled his store. I own one of his original builds from back then but can't bring myself to modify it to make it my own so he has willingly agreed to help me build this flat bar. Excellent bike shop to visit if you are ever in the area.

House of Wheels 50th.jpg

Hello,
I have made some more progress since the initial post that I wanted to share with those that are interested. Once I disassembled everything it was obvious that the frame was bent where the coaster brake arm attached to the frame with the bracket. Does anyone know if this is common because it was a first for me. Using a smaller diameter of rigid pipe that was cut in half allowed me to get it straighter that it was but it still has a slight dent on the top side from the bracket.

I apologize in advance for the photos but I am doing the best to show you what I am dealing with (the bent tube is in the back). Once it was straighter with the bottom profile of the other side I made this aluminum support which will hopefully prevent future bends in the same area. Thoughts?

Also, since the frame was bent, and the option of restoring it to original was out the window I removed the kickstand and plan on adding a few things....

Once I get these welded in I will provide another update. Thanks to all for your input and the kind comments in welcoming me to the CABE!

Best.

Welcome. You have a great frame for your klunker build. I just finished this one using a 1936 Schwinn frame and parts taken primarily from a couple of 80’s mountain bikes. A simple budget build using a crank with 3 chainrings and drum brake/freewheel hub.

I’m interested to know which 5 speed you intend to use.
DD4545C7-C1D2-4667-B073-7695808B6969.jpeg

Back