When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Typhoon Flat Bar Build 50th Anniversary Edition!

-
Thanks for the replies.

The 50th anniversary is mentioned on the first page of the post. It is in celebrating a local bike shop that built Klunker bikes back in the late 70's and early 80's. Their branding back then was "The home of the FAT tire".

Thanks for the link to the eBay auction for the front brake hub. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the quality of the Super British hubs listed in the auction?

I have been watching this one as well.

Sorry I do not know how to make that a hyperlink.

I will post some pics of the handlebars that I am trying to straighten and some of the cycle pro forks that I plan on using a bit later.
That last hub I posted finally showed up. It's actually branded Sturmey Archer on the aluminum "pork chop" part. The only difference from my other hub like it is that it's painted grey, not chrome like every other steel Sturmey hub I've had. Maybe they're factory seconds that had to be painted...still not 100% sure why the eBay ad doesn't call out the full brand name.

The Sachs hubs are pretty nice looking. Get a little weight savings with the aluminum shell too. I have a couple, only one is laced but I haven't decided on what bike to put it on.

Last edited:
I just bought one of these Sturmey knock offs from eBay, I think they're a steel shell too. Shipping from China has been slow as molasses, even while it's been in the US.

View attachment 1770638
I was looking at those about a week ago. I’d like to know what you think when you get it, the price is good so I thought it was worth a try ha ha. I’m still waiting to find out why he’s calling this a flat bar, there has to be a good reason.

I was looking at those about a week ago. I’d like to know what you think when you get it, the price is good so I thought it was worth a try ha ha. I’m still waiting to find out why he’s calling this a flat bar, there has to be a good reason.
Oddly enough, it's the same frame I have the chrome Sturmey attached to. Twin straight bar, a flat bar, whatever you want to call it.

PXL_20230120_220328358.jpg

PXL_20230120_220352839.jpg

I think I've put about 30mi on the chrome one so far and it seems to be fine, I even bought it used. A flange was damaged in shipping, like they threw it off the truck onto a concrete curb. I bent it back, no cracks or catastrophic disintegration.
The grey hub is identical to the chrome one except for finish. Cones appear to be the same without taking it apart, but grey one does not come with axle nuts. Previously I said part of the pork chop was aluminum, but I was wrong, it is steel painted with a metallic silver that makes it look like that finely peened aluminum texture. In better light, the hub shell is painted the same, but with a glossier finish.

Last edited:
I am not new to vintage bikes but new to the CABE. I apologize for not knowing the correct terminology for specific things but I have always have heard others refer this frame style as a flat bar. Straight bar, flat bar, non-curved odd bar whatever, but out of all the bikes I own this is the only middle weight so please forgive me.

Thanks for sharing the pics of the different hubs that you have experience with. The chrome one that is laced up in the pics looks great and it is surprising that it is the same one in silver/grey paint. Also, that head badge, is that what these straight bar frames should have? My bike did not have a head badge when I bought it but just curious on that one.

A bit more progress last night on polishing the forks up which have been hanging on the wall of the shop for years but are in much rougher shape than I thought... These forks came off one of the original klunker bikes built back in the day at the local bike shop which makes me favor them but I wish they were in better condition! The pics are after polishing, not much chrome left in certain areas but it should match the build overall.

Fork1.jpg

Fork2.jpg

Fork3.jpg

The bars I intend on using are another story as I found them in a pile of old motorcycle parts from my grandfather. No clue what they came off of but they were bent up and rusty which posed quite a challenge in getting them back to useable. Spent several hours in the vice and the press and ended up within 1/8th of an inch which was initially 2 7/8s bend on the outer most edge of the bar.

Bars1.jpg

Bars2.jpg

Bars3.jpg

Plenty of scratches in the chrome to match the rest of the used parts but glad I was able to save them.

Thanks for the replies. I will post more when I get time.

Hello,
Quick update. The Sachs hub arrived today from Poland, much earlier than scheduled. The hub appears to be in nice condition with obvious shelf wear and some pretty stiff grease in the bearings. The brake stay will need modifications but I will figure that out at a later date. Dropped it off to the bike shop to get laced up with new spokes today so hopefully it will be completed soon. Any thoughts on approximate production date of this Sachs hub?

Hub 2.jpg

Hub 3.jpg

Hub 1.jpg

Guessing 1990ish...I'll check my Sachs hubs in a bit and find you a better way of dating that one. One of mine has a 4 digit date stamp(laser etched on the outside of the hub shell), I think it was 94. I've got an internal geared Sachs hub that is stamped inside the hub shell on the drum side. There seems to be a way of dating all of the Sachs hubs from the 50s up to when the company became SRAM even. Orbit stamped hubs have a certain year range I'm sure too, even if you don't find a date stamp. The Sheldon Brown site mentions 1990 being the introduction for Orbit model hubs, thinking it was a nod to/named after the matching internal Planetary geared hybrid rear hub.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to keep this build with era specific parts from the late 70's - early 80's parts but the Sachs hub was all I could really find at the time I needed it. I appreciate the information and will check for specific stamps both inside and outside once I get it back from the shop.

I measured the original seat post from that was removed from the bike and it looks to be 13/16"? The only reason I question this is for the fact that my "calipers" (if they qualify as a caliper) cost around 3$ from the quality tool store commonly referred to as Harbor Freight. I know it is time to upgrade to a better set of calipers as I am using it more and more and I question it's accuracy... My plan moving forward is to replace the original with a alloy red fluted anodized seat post. I am on the hunt for one and want to make sure that I am looking for the correct size. Any input on this question is appreciated.

Yes, 13/16" should be correct for that era Schwinn.

I had my years backwards it seems, 94 and 95 for my Sachs 7sp hubs. 91 for the Orbit set.

PXL_20230207_211611692.jpg

PXL_20230207_211232194.jpg

PXL_20230207_175850699.jpg

PXL_20230207_175743982.jpg

PXL_20230207_175726190.jpg

I bought this last one thinking it was Sachs, but turns out it's Maillard stamped. I would guess it's from the 70s, but I'm not sure when that brand name went away.
PXL_20230207_211045990.jpg

Back