When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

schwinn typhoon tire year

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The earliest I have found mention of the Typhoon tire was 1953. No mention of this tire in the tire options for 1951.

I always thought the Typhoon was a post war tire but have had a couple of the Schwinn experts say '41 as well. I've seen original '41s with US Royal Centipede Grip tires but have never seen an original bike with Typhoon Cords? The lit for '41 seems to show the full boogie B707 Autocycle Deluxe Special (canti) with Centipede Grips but the D97XE (DX Equipped) with Typhoon Cords. I've also seen early post war bikes with Goodyears. V/r Shawn

I always thought the Typhoon was a post war tire but have had a couple of the Schwinn experts say '41 as well. I've seen original '41s with US Royal Centipede Grip tires but have never seen an original bike with Typhoon Cords? The lit for '41 seems to show the full boogie B707 Autocycle Deluxe Special (canti) with Centipede Grips but the D97XE (DX Equipped) with Typhoon Cords. I've also seen early post war bikes with Goodyears. V/r Shawn

I have yet to find any dated literature on the Typhoon tire earlier than 1953. Finding a pre war bike wearing a Typhoon tire is not unusual so what solid proof did those experts have? Even the big detailed catalog image of the new 1950 Phantom does not depict a Typhoon cord tire nor does the later images of the Phantom. In most of the early post war specs the Schwinn Typhoon was never mentioned, and I'm sure if it had the Schwinn name on it the tire would have been noted in these specs. Here is what most of the specs say post war.
TIRES-
26" x 2 1/8" Cord Balloon. Best grade. Whitewalls optional at extra cost.

I'd love to see some dated literature showing or stating that the Typhoon tire was around before 1952.

I personally,have yanked a pre war Schwinn Cyclone red tube out of a 40 dx. Changed the name to typhoon,over some infringement deal. It's on Tim Brandt's sight,"Bicycle Chronicles ".

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

IMG_7675.JPG

IMG_7676.JPG

Here's the time for a good story on the Schwinn typhoon tire. Years ago-maybe 30+ years ago I was restoring Schwinn motorbikes and ran the typhoon tires as I couldn't find the original equipment Goodyear tires. I figured it was a good replacement tire that was offered as the kid with a Schwinn motorbike needed new tires after a few years-he'd go to the Schwinn dealer and got typhoon tires. Schwinn was big on pushing these tires. These tires debuted in 38 or 39 as I recall on the prewar Schwinn 'dx' model. Up to that time(30+ years ago) it was thought that the Schwinn Typhoon cord was a tire that came out with the postwar Phantom. I got a lot of flak for running a Phantom tire on a prewar bike-like how dare me! I said they were wrong and i'd prove it. The first year (1938 or 39)saw the tire marked as a Cyclone Cord(extremely rare) but as mentioned above-some sorta copyright thing-they changed it to the name-typhoon cord- we know today. I went through my original literature and found the mention of the tire. I made a copy. You can also see this in the Hurd book-Schwinn Bicycles 1933 to 1941-for those years-read the details for the 'dx' model. Anyway I went to a meet and as usual got some flak for running a postwar tire-from several individuals. I let them have their say and then I presented them with a copy of the ad showing its issue on the prewar 'dx' model. You could hear a pin drop-I had debunked the notion it was not a postwar Phantom debut tire and also that in fact it was a prewar tire available at the prewar dealers. I run these tires exclusively on all my prewar motorbikes still as they are one of the nicest riding tires out there. Please verify what I said by checking it out in your copy of Hurd's book-under the 'dx model' I'm sure its there.(Maybe someone could post copies here as a follow up-thanks)

Last edited:
Back