When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

schwinn typhoon tire year

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here's the time for a good story on the Schwinn typhoon tire. Years ago-maybe 30+ years ago I was restoring Schwinn motorbikes and ran the typhoon tires as I couldn't find the original equipment Goodyear tires. I figured it was a good replacement tire that was offered as the kid with a Schwinn motorbike needed new tires after a few years-he'd go to the Schwinn dealer and got typhoon tires. Schwinn was big on pushing these tires. These tires debuted in 38 or 39 as I recall on the prewar Schwinn 'dx' model. Up to that time(30+ years ago) it was thought that the Schwinn Typhoon cord was a tire that came out with the postwar Phantom. I got a lot of flak for running a Phantom tire on a prewar bike-like how dare me! I said they were wrong and i'd prove it. The first year (1938 or 39)saw the tire marked as a Cyclone Cord(extremely rare) but as mentioned above-some sorta copyright thing-they changed it to the name-typhoon cord- we know today. I went through my original literature and found the mention of the tire. I made a copy. You can also see this in the Hurd book-Schwinn Bicycles 1933 to 1941-for those years-read the details for the 'dx' model. Anyway I went to a meet and as usual got some flak for running a postwar tire-from several individuals. I let them have their say and then I presented them with a copy of the ad showing its issue on the prewar 'dx' model. You could hear a pin drop-I had debunked the notion it was not a postwar Phantom debut tire and also that in fact it was a prewar tire available at the prewar dealers. I run these tires exclusively on all my prewar motorbikes still as they are one of the nicest riding tires out there. Please verify what I said by checking it out in your copy of Hurd's book-under the 'dx model' I'm sure its there.(Maybe someone could post copies here as a follow up-thanks)

CONFIRMED. I just found them listed in the 1941 catalog.

hi abcservices-it probably is in the '41 catalog as well but it was like first year of the dx that had them. actually this first year(or part of the year) issue may have been the 'cyclone' marked tires. the second year it made its appearance would have the typhoon marking(1938/9?) it may not be in the hurd book-someone in cabeland has a copy. but that does answer the pre/post question for sure-thanks!

Last edited:
They are listed in the Schwinn catalog. The first year I see mention of the "Schwinn Cyclone Cord Balloon" is in the '40 cat with the "Ladies Popular Priced Special". They are also shown on the DX97XE-OS, girls D37X-O, and boys D97X-O. They are not shown on any of the deluxe models. The Typhoon cords are shown in the '41 cat but again only on the lower tier models. All of the deluxe bikes are equipped with Goodyear, Gillette, U.S., or Goodrich whitewall tires. BTW both the Cyclones and Typhoons are shown only as blackwalls except for the full boogie DX of '41 which appears to show whitewall Typhoons but the literature does not call this out. So if I were building catalog correct I would not use Typhoons on a deluxe bike. V/r Shawn

Adding this here in this thread.

Schwinn Typhoon 1.jpg

Schwinn Typhoon 2.jpg

Back