eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
Staff member
System Administrator
May 20, 2006
Cheney, WA
Picked up an oddball Schwinn Varsity and am wondering if these juvenile size Varsity's turn up very often? It has 24" wheels. I really haven't paid much attention to lightweights until very recently, so I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever actually seeing one of these things anywhere besides in the brochures. Any clue as to rarity? I realize value will be near-nill, but I got it just because it's "cute".

1974 Schwinn 24-inch Varsity 10-speed.jpg

morton

I live for the CABE
Nov 9, 2007
York, United States
"Junior" Size Road Bikes Uncommon

I've seen a few of these, but never a Schwinn. I'd clean it up and keep it for no other reason than it's unique. Would make a great wall hanger (and I don't mean this is a derogatory sense) in a den or restaurant. Seems to me I've read a thread about smaller road bikes on bike forums. Post it there and you may find additional info.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/181-Classic-amp-Vintage

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I would say the 24"ers are pretty uncommon but do pop up every once in a while. I saw a lime 64 posted on the OK craigs last week.

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 18, 2009
Chicago area west
That is cute....looks like Racycle with the big sprocket guard on a smaller frame...

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
Staff member
System Administrator
May 20, 2006
Cheney, WA
I am impressed that it still has it's reflectors and the lighting kit... it's very un-molested, which is rare for any kids bike this old. I'll clean it up the best I can and hang it on the wall.

Adamtinkerer

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 8, 2008
Western North carolina
Probably about as rare as a 24" Typhoon or Corvette. Not much love for Schwinn "lightweights" (ha ha), but I'm a big fan! I have a '80 Varsity, but it's a lil taller than yours!
80Varsitytallboy-1.jpg

sailorbenjamin

Finally riding a big boys bike
Mar 3, 2008
Ryderwood, United States
One passed through my hands several years ago. I sold it to a guy with a really short girlfriend.
For what it's worth, 26" mountain bike rims with really skinny tires, like 26x1.00 will fit these pretty well.

tdoorly

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 7, 2013
Ive been looking for the Shorty Varsity bikes. have a orange one. Do you want to sell the blue one?

Matt B

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Feb 17, 2019
Shelby, MI
I would say we sold about 1 Jr Varsity for every 50 Adult Varsities in the shop I worked in as a kid ('71-77). Not sure if that was typical for other shops. The kids wanted the string rays and if a lightweights, they were older, and could barely fit (but quickly grow into) small adult bike. I have a Bicentennial. Found it on the curb for the garbage man. Just finished the overhaul, etc and it cleaned up well. Just needed tires and hew handlebar tape (found some NOS bicentennial) and a bicentennial owners manual.

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

Reactions: HARPO and Oilit
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Matt B

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Feb 17, 2019
Shelby, MI
The 24" Varsity was also available for the 1963 and 1964 model year.
You are correct. I see it in their catalog now. When I started in the shop in 1971, age 13, I remember Schwinn advertising and the owner of the shop saying it was new in '72. And I never saw an older one ever come in for service in the 6 years I worked in a couple different Schwinn shops on the 70's. Probably did not sell well, otherwise, they would have continued to make them. Be cool to find one. Thanks for the correction, learned something!!!

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
Playa del Rey, United States
The Crank looks so HUGE on them...
-----

Do not know the length here.

On european produced junior road bicyles with three-piece chainsets & ~24" (550A) wheel there is something of a "standard" crank length of 152mm (~6").

Bar breadth is typically ~35cm as opposed to the 38 or 40cm of an adult model.

-----

Last edited:

HARPO

I live for the CABE
Dec 28, 2010
Floral Park, NY, United States
I'm contemplating picking this one up (sellers photo)

. I have absolutely no use for it, or even any room for that matter. But for $30...

Reactions: Oilit
This ad goes away when you register for an account!