When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Varisty Junior - with 24" wheels

-

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
System Administrator
Picked up an oddball Schwinn Varsity and am wondering if these juvenile size Varsity's turn up very often? It has 24" wheels. I really haven't paid much attention to lightweights until very recently, so I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever actually seeing one of these things anywhere besides in the brochures. Any clue as to rarity? I realize value will be near-nill, but I got it just because it's "cute".

1974 Schwinn 24-inch Varsity 10-speed.jpg

"Junior" Size Road Bikes Uncommon

I've seen a few of these, but never a Schwinn. I'd clean it up and keep it for no other reason than it's unique. Would make a great wall hanger (and I don't mean this is a derogatory sense) in a den or restaurant. Seems to me I've read a thread about smaller road bikes on bike forums. Post it there and you may find additional info.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/181-Classic-amp-Vintage

I would say the 24"ers are pretty uncommon but do pop up every once in a while. I saw a lime 64 posted on the OK craigs last week.

That is cute....looks like Racycle with the big sprocket guard on a smaller frame...

I am impressed that it still has it's reflectors and the lighting kit... it's very un-molested, which is rare for any kids bike this old. I'll clean it up the best I can and hang it on the wall.

Probably about as rare as a 24" Typhoon or Corvette. Not much love for Schwinn "lightweights" (ha ha), but I'm a big fan! I have a '80 Varsity, but it's a lil taller than yours!
80Varsitytallboy-1.jpg

One passed through my hands several years ago. I sold it to a guy with a really short girlfriend.
For what it's worth, 26" mountain bike rims with really skinny tires, like 26x1.00 will fit these pretty well.

Ive been looking for the Shorty Varsity bikes. have a orange one. Do you want to sell the blue one?

I would say we sold about 1 Jr Varsity for every 50 Adult Varsities in the shop I worked in as a kid ('71-77). Not sure if that was typical for other shops. The kids wanted the string rays and if a lightweights, they were older, and could barely fit (but quickly grow into) small adult bike. I have a Bicentennial. Found it on the curb for the garbage man. Just finished the overhaul, etc and it cleaned up well. Just needed tires and hew handlebar tape (found some NOS bicentennial) and a bicentennial owners manual.

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

Back