When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Varsity (70s-early 80s) "barn" find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@kostnerave Beautiful bike Mike. The chromed fenders look great. That would at least be a frame size I could ride. I thought I saw a rack w/reflector with "Schwinn Approved", but no fenders or saddle. How is the saddle badged? I will be looking for loose parts in the piles today to see if I can complete the bike if my offer is accepted.

@juvela After getting a year range ('74-'75) from the experts here I looked at the catalogs and no alloy stem was specified. It appears that Mike's example also has an alloy stem (no "S"). Maybe it was an option, a mid-year change for the next model year (did '76 Varsity spec alloy stem?), or a catalog error. There is a fair amount of aluminium on the bike (hubs, stem, brakeset); I assume the seat post was steel.

Last edited:
@kostnerave Beautiful bike Mike. The chromed fenders look great. That would at least be a frame size I could ride. I thought I saw a rack w/reflector with "Schwinn Approved", but no fenders or saddle. How is the saddle badged? I will be looking for loose parts in the piles today to see if I can complete the bike if my offer is accepted.

@juvela After getting a year range ('74-'75) from the experts here I looked at the catalogs and no alloy stem was specified. It appears that Mike's example also has an alloy stem (no "S"). Maybe it was an option, a mid-year change for the next model year (did '76 Varsity spec alloy stem?), or a catalog error. There is a fair amount of aluminium on the bike (hubs, stem, brakeset; I assume the seat post was steel.
Hi Jesper,
My saddle has a tag that says Schwinn Approved Comfort Form. This was a one owner bike that was barely ridden, so I believe the saddle is original to the bike. I thought it was cool that they went the extra five dollars and change for the fenders. Be conservative with your offer, my bike wasn't terribly expensive and it's like new. Feel free to use my pictures to negotiate.
Mike

Passing on the bike after my offer ($60) was refused, but no issues. My offers on frames and parts (which were very low in my opinion) were all accepted. I think it's because I asked a bunch of questions about the bike and took photos that they think my interest in it is much higher than it really is. I picked up many parts that I need and want for various reasons that are far more valuable to me for pennies on the dollar so leaving the Varsity for another is no loss.
It seems that the "property owners" have been trying to clean out the place for some months (maybe years) and invited me to sift through more of the rooms (about 1200 sqft) in the future. I doubt that bike will go anywhere in the short term.

Last edited:
I rescued a green 1973 Deluxe similar to yours a couple of years back. After replacing all the rubber, fully disassembling and cleaning it up, could only get $120 locally in Charlotte. I had 10-12 hrs of labor into it and the new Schwalbe tires/tubes cost about $70. Like yours, it looked brand new. Just not much demand for a 41 lb “lightweight” bike.

Back